I just rebuilt my first 5R110W...what jobs do you find satisfying?

Rate this topic

66glide

I found it to be a relatively easy trans to do. I added a shift kit for durability. I get great satisfaction from doing trans rebuilds. I don't do enough to claim to be an expert, I just like doing them! What's your favorite work?

Any big job that gets nailed on the first try.  Whether it be a shortblock, headgaskets or whatever when it leaves with no codes, not leaking fluids and there's no comeback in sight that makes me happy. 

DITTO!!! Might I add no stupid "ever since you ..." claims by the customer as well.

• Like 1

Any big job that gets nailed on the first try.  Whether it be a shortblock, headgaskets or whatever when it leaves with no codes, not leaking fluids and there's no comeback in sight that makes me happy.

DITTO!!! Might I add no stupid "ever since you ..." claims by the customer as well.

Ha. Haaa...the dreaded "eversinceya"!! I once had a customer claim that "ever since" I replaced his front brake pads and rotors, his ABS doesn't work. I asked him if his ABS light is on...he said "no". It had been a year since I did the brake job. I went out to investigate...hmmm...the ABS light does not prove out with the ignition on. I looked inside the front wheels...no wheel speed sensors!! (turns out his '91 Taurus was not equipped with ABS). He thought the bad brake pulsation he was experiencing because of warped rotors before I did the reline was proper ABS braking function! He thought I was trying to put one over on him when I explained that his car does not have ABS, and no amount of explaining would convince the crusty old #$$%! Finally, I just told him to take his car to another garage, and bring me the bill so that I could pay whatever it took to fix his ABS. Never heard from him again!

I actually enjoy the "big jobs" like engines and transmissions because they tend to feel  more like I accomplished something. Brake jobs and services bore me to some extent but we know which jobs make us valuable... and which jobs make us money. They go hand-in-hand but there is a difference.  

I just finished repairing our shop's plow truck - broken case on a Torqshift. It was so corroded I had to use an air chisel to separate the transfer case and had to break the extension housing. Knowing that imagine how many bolts had to be heated to get the trans out! It was a fight, it was a project but it will feel really good to take the truck on a road test this morning!.

I actually enjoy the "big jobs" like engines and transmissions because they tend to feel  more like I accomplished something. Brake jobs and services bore me to some extent but we know which jobs make us valuable... and which jobs make us money. They go hand-in-hand but there is a difference.  

I just finished repairing our shop's plow truck - broken case on a Torqshift. It was so corroded I had to use an air chisel to separate the transfer case and had to break the extension housing. Knowing that imagine how many bolts had to be heated to get the trans out! It was a fight, it was a project but it will feel really good to take the truck on a road test this morning!.

That is interesting, Keith. On this one, I needed to use chisels and bars to pull the T-case from the transmission. Both the output shaft was rusty/seizing where it splines into the T-case, and the aluminum flange was corroded. (no trans oil in that gap anymore...maybe not a good thing.

Damn...I replied inside the quote bubble...see last paragraph.

That is interesting, Keith. On this one, I needed to use chisels and bars to pull the T-case from the transmission. Both the output shaft was rusty/seizing where it splines into the T-case, and the aluminum flange was corroded. (no trans oil in that gap anymore...maybe not a good thing.

Damn...I replied inside the quote bubble...see last paragraph.

Years ago I watched a guy try to sererate a ZF5 case using our skid steer, 2 chains and a cement post. Never did get it seperated and ended up putting in a rebuilt.

Last week we had a demo snow cat break down on the most popular trail on the entire mountain. The thing was right under the lift line and the trail was roped off for safety. Being president week, we would hear "whens the trail gonna be open?!" every 2 minutes. So after a couple of hours replacing a hydro line and getting it fired up in a snow storm, the cheers from the lift were awesome to hear. And driving the cat down the hill and everyone waving was a nice feeling. Those are nice moments.