very early DIT parts...

Rate this topic

I just had a very, very early '94 DIT (manual) in for some work over the past few days.

Started simple, but turned into a small shit storm.  Another 80 year old owner, who loves his old truck.  210k on the clock of at least 90% low load, under 1500 rpm driving and idling.  It's mainly a farm truck used on his shooting range. 

Came in dropping cylinders, both banks, then shutting down due to both shorting to the melted glow plug lines. Original factory installed cam sensor, customer wanted new one.  I updated this years ago with a '95 PCM (TEE5 tear tag) so I can get some info out the OBD plug in the truck.

Melted v/c gaskets, harnesses and I really wanted an engine harness as it was soaked with diesel. I tried for a 95 or 96 engine harness, no good either.

I ended up replacing all 4 pigtails to the gaskets.  While there, someone put on a 6 groove alternator (reman) on the 7 groove belt (now 6 groove).  The tensioner crooked and idler bearing shot.  I see the tandem pump has regular fuel hose for gasoline, so they are swollen twice their normal size, oil leaks galore.  Huge blowby out the dipstick tube and oil soaking all the way to the air filter. The glow plug relay melted.  Spring hangers and shackles rotted off frame.  P/S leaks. 

Is there any source for the correct 7 groove alternator pulley and the idlers?   Ford is long gone.  Most of the stuf for this truck is extremely difficult ot come by.  Where things don't rot away, what do you do?

Napa idlers are different diameters, the alternator I ended up putting an 8 groove pulley on it so it doesn't rip the last rib off the belt. 

Customer approved wiring and belt stuff.  He'll come back for other work over time.   I used the napa pulleys but wasn't happy with the end result.

Took it out, and the nearly plugged cat finally blew out all the crap after holding it wide open in 2nd for 2 miles.  The poor guy behind me sure wasn't happy.  Still amazingly runs well. 

That's exactly what it did.  Labored up to the governor.   Lots of light blue smoke, and very, very quiet at 3300.  Then poof with about a thousand O's.  And so much black smoke I couldn't see behind it for more than half a mile.