Why did they do away with the fuel heater on F-series?

Rate this topic

Anyone know? My fuel gelled up multiple times this year and while its a little late I decided to put an end to it.

I found a NOS 03-04 HFCM side cover and bolted it to a brand new PFB-101. Wired it to an up fitter switch and bam, nice warm fuel. Before I plugged it in I obviously tested the circuitry with a bulb. All is well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The later 7.3s were but everything I looked at for an F-series said it was on it's own fuse.  Now an e-series 6.0 if I remember right is actually tied into the FICM logic power fuse.  That could cause a problem for sure. 

I believe you are correct Matt -  F-series 6.0L was not tied to the PCM but the E-series is. Here is a picture of the heater assembly removed from the HFCM of one that had rust from a fuel tank deposited onto it. Apparently rust is conductive. The blown fuse concern drove one of my techs crazy until he gave up. I kinda knew it was the heater but had no idea until I cut it open...

Posted Image

4968 - 2003-2005 EXCURSION/2003-2006 F-SUPER DUTY - 6.0L DIESEL - HFCM HEATER DELETE

SOME 2003-2005 EXCURSIONS AND 2003-2006 F-SUPER DUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.0L DIESEL, BUILT PRIOR TO 5/16/2005, MAY REQUIRE REPLACEMENT OF THE HFCM OR MANIFOLD ASSEMBLY. THE HEATER WAS REMOVED FROM MANIFOLDS ON VEHICLES BUILT BEGINNING 5/16/2005, AND ALL MANIFOLD/SENSOR SERVICE PARTS. THERE IS A JUMPER HARNESS AVAILABLE (P/N 6C3Z-9F759-A) TO ADAPT THE EXISTING HARNESS TO THE UPDATED MANIFOLD/MODULE. A TSB WITH REVISED KIT INCLUDING ALL THE NECESSARY COMPONENTS IS BEING DEVELOPED AND WILL BE AVAILABLE BY THE END OF THE 4TH QUARTER 2005.

This was the original SSM that was released on the subject. No explanation given. I recall a conversation I had with an instructor  where I heard that Ford deemed the heater as un-necessary - with fuel being returned from the engine to the HFCM and recirculated depending on temperature the heat from the engine should be enough to warm  the fuel in the primary pump and filter. The fuel heater would never have an effect on fuel in the tank if it was not properly blended/treated to prevent gelling and the pick ups will likely clog long before any warm fuel returning from the engine would have any affect.

Not necessarily related, I recall another conversation concerning returning warm fuel to the fuel tanks. The process of doing so causes drastic temperature swings in cold weather increasing water production in the tank due to condensation.

Unsure if it was related or not but I usually let my truck warm up for 5-10 minutes in the morning before I leave for work. So today I started it up and flipped the heater on. Leaving my driveway showed a noticeable increase in throttle response. I have to climb a small hill to reach 45 mph and its always hard when the truck is cold.

Could be my pump was getting a little weak too. I haven't checked fuel pressure for a long time. Either way it's working better

I don't have a fuel heater in my 7.3. It was laying loose in the bottom when I changed my fuel filter once so I yanked it out. I'm in Wisconsin, but I am very religious about my anti-gel and when it gets down below zero I run double additive. I did not have any problems this year, but last year I did and that was when I decided to run extra additive. I also have a customer with a 6.7 who gelled up twice this year and the second time he was treated with the motorcraft stuff and after that when it was below zero he started running double too and he had no problems after that.

Interesting about the double additive. Any other time I always run extra additive, usually mix of stanadyne performance and lubricity, never had a problem before this year but it was also much colder than previous years.

I was warned to not run extra anti-gel because it can reduce the effectiveness but honestly I don't remember who or where I heard that from.

I don't think using more anti-gel additive will have any adverse affect. When it comes to cetane improvers more is not good in that raising the cetane rating of fuel beyond 55-ish  offers no benefit. I have never read that doing so had negative affects as of yet though.

I got the idea from reading the other brand anti-gel bottles. I stood at the local Fleet Farm one night and read 3 or 4 different brands directions and they all say when it's below zero or -10 that you need to run double the amount. I was told by a Powerstroke engineer that running extra Ford additive will not hurt anything other than your pocketbook.

• Like 1

I was told the fuel heater was causing a chemical reaction in the HFCM that was leading to corrosion...  The fact that the drain plugs never come out of the ones with fuel heaters confirms that to me...