A/M Garbage

Rate this topic

Aaron

The shop I'm at likes using Dorman stuff.

I put an EGR cooler on last week, and ended up needing two kits to make even one work. And the first cooler had the coolant tube welded on incorrectly and wouldn't align with the oil cooler whatsoever.

Then first kit had no gaskets and the improperly welded cooler, the second kit was missing the hose and bolts. Overall the welding is a lot prettier than the ford cooler but if the tube doesn't line up its kind of a moot point.

Anyone else have these issues?

I wouldnt touch a doorman cooler with a 10 foot pole.

they are not even that much cheaper then a OEM stuff and the quality sucks on top of it

I agree.

The only upside is it comes with a gasket set and no core. So I have amassed quite the pile of cores.

I've tried a couple of their EGR coolers, every one I have had to tweak the coolant tube down a little bit to line up, I don't like their blue hose either, I have a stock pile of new blue hoses from Ford that I use with it, the Dorman hose seems to be just too damn big and rubs against the turbo pedestal in some trucks, or can't get on the one pedestal bolt. I've also seen one oil cooler leak, they have updated their gaskets now from talking with their tech support and filing a labor claim with them on that job, now they are purple instead of the green that there was a SSM about. Even the 4 o-rings between the cooler and cover swelled and destroyed the cooler trying to separate it to reseal it, so not a fan of the seal material they use after seeing that so it got an OE cooler after that. Another thing I seen in an update email from them a while back, they have the OE design fin type cooler for 04-up trucks, and they make a tube style in the square body cooler for the late models also.

The one I had, I couldn't tweak the pipe. It was almost like it was bent in two spots. It hit the pedestal and was probably 3/4 of an inch away from the coolant port on the oil cooler.

• 4 weeks later...

Indy I work for uses Dorman stuff. They put 4 degas bottles on a 6.0 Liter. It came back leaking again (split in the seam). I told them to call the parts store and get there money back and buy a Ford unit. Truck has been fixed ever since.

Not to be the naysayer, but the Dorman products I've used have worked out well.  Intake manifolds for the modular engines, cooling fan assemblies, blower motors, and other electrical parts.

I don't teach diesel here, so we don't use any of their coolers...

• 1 month later...

Welp... The truck I made this original post about is back today, leaking coolant from the o-ring (Dorman supplied) that goes into the intake.

Fuckin junk.