7.8 NHD Injection Pump

Rate this topic

Pulled an injection pump off a 7.8L New Holland Ford diesel engine in a F800 chassis. Forgot what a bitch the mounting bolts between the pump and the block were. Haven't worked on one of these in a looooong time. Had to dig for the timing pins and blow the dust off them!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the pump back from the fuel shop that rebuilt the pump - took two weeks for crying out loud but they did find the problem and the pump is good as new - good for another 20 years. I realize now that not many Ford techs ever work on or even see trucks this size and any diesel engine other than the V-8 diesels in the light duty trucks. So I am sharing a few pictures of this job. Truck runs well for what it is. These engines did not have the get up and go we are now accustomed to.Here is the Bosch in-line injection pump with the drive gear not yet attached to the drive plate on the pump shaft.IMG_2092.JPGA close up of the drive plate and gear with the timing pin installed. The pin aligns and locks the drive plate to the pump through a hole that goes through the gear, adapter plate and then the timing plate and sets  it at TDC #1. The gear  is bolted to the plate and has elongated holes to allow for the removal of backlash once the pump is installed on the engine and then the bolts are torqued locking everything in place.IMG_2102.JPGHere is where the pump is mounted on the right front of the block behind the timing cover.  Yes, it's tucked next to the right frame rail making things a little tight to work - especially if you have  big hands.IMG_2103.JPGA shot of the front of the engine showing the timing lock pin that locks the crankshaft to the cover. The pin engages a slot in the dampener. You can see the pump installed and it's timing pin sticking out.IMG_2125.JPGAll done and running! Check for leaks and go for a ride.IMG_2126.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

those motors were no speed demons, but they got the job done time and time again. I remember some days when it was those motors and the 2 stroke Detroits that were all that was on the plate for a few days :surprise: