08 Popping Noise

Rate this topic

Just had an 08 with 190k dropped off at my door for a popping noise when running.  Appears to be popping back through the intake.  Customer just bought this at the auction (wonder why)  Ran a power balance test.  All cylinders are even.  Run a relative compression test.  #2 constantly came up short at about 8% low.  Cut open the oil filter, no metal found in it.  Remove the valve cover.  Rockers in tact still, clips in place (hard to tell with it installed if they are worn).  It is blacker than black under this valve cover.  Going to pull the rockers tomorrow - will they sneak out with the fuel rail in place?  Where are you guys bar ing the engine over on these without disassembling the front half of the truck - I want to check cam lobe lift.

I have yet to do a full set of rockers in a 64, but I'm pretty sure the rail has to come off to get any of the back ones out. I distinctly remember hearing on here that the fuel supply line can be reused (connection at the fuel rail) a couple of times before having issues. These guys that have done them can hopefully chime in and verify that.

I have however, lost count on the number of transmissions and engines I have pulled, so I use a regular old 18mm wrench on the bottom bolts of the balancer. It spins pretty easy and the wrench will follow the balancer up in an arc motion, then I just reposition again on a bottom bolt and continue.

Fuel rail does have to come off but don't worry much about the supply lines running from the high pressure pump. Change the injector feed lines of course.

Popping through the intake and no rockers missing? I would suspect a lifter for sure