Windows 8 Start Button

Rate this topic

This is more about the new User Interface in Win 8 that Microsoft has decided to go with. Unfortunately it is quite a pain in the ass for regular PC users - especially if you are not using a touch screen. I happen to be using a touch screen but I still hate the interface which is intended to be more aligned with smart phones, tablets and X-box. I fucking hate it. I want my PC to act like one as that is how I use it. Well, I did some research and some reading up on this, there are ways to set up your PC to interact with you in a more classic manner but the start menu is something that will not change unless you install a shell program that restores this look and feel. Totally compatible and customizable too. Start8 is the one I recommend - you get a 30 day trial and it's only $5 if you decide to buy it.http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ 

I use Classic Shell. It is completely free and works great. 

Agreed that the new format is bogus. Try as I might there is nothing intuitive about it.

• Like 1

What I have always done with Microsoft is I buy every other system. So I bought XP then windows 7, now I will not even consider buying anything until what ever they come out with next. So far it has saved me a lot of frustration.

I know you wanted a touch screen and so did I, but I will just wait. My wireless mouse works just fine for me

Oh no! Don't get me wrong - Windows 8 is fantastic so far. It's supposedly a totally new code and filing system. I haven't had one hiccup yet, not one compatibility issue and the performance is mind blowing. The basic Windows is still there, they just decided to put on a new user interface based around the start button and some slick looking stuff to take advantage of touch screens. But, with some settings changes I have my laptop looking and felling just like I expect/want my PC to interact with me. The only part that needed tweaking was the start button. They replaced it with this tile screen and your programs list is now a list of  "Apps"  which requires a lot of scrolling and hunting to find what you want. These little shell programs restore the start button and familiar programs list. I still pin most of my commonly used programs right to the task bar anyway. I like many people wish there was a choice in the matter. A simple setting to chose between the new "Metro interface" and a "traditional interface."  For crying out loud - There are some small programs like the ones we are discussing that make this happen - so why not just include it?  Yeah, I know. Change is inevitable.

Oh no! Don't get me wrong - Windows 8 is fantastic so far. It's supposedly a totally new code and filing system. I haven't had one hiccup yet, not one compatibility issue and the performance is mind blowing. The basic Windows is still there, they just decided to put on a new user interface based around the start button and some slick looking stuff to take advantage of touch screens. But, with some settings changes I have my laptop looking and felling just like I expect/want my PC to interact with me. The only part that needed tweaking was the start button. They replaced it with this tile screen and your programs list is now a list of  "Apps"  which requires a lot of scrolling and hunting to find what you want. These little shell programs restore the start button and familiar programs list. I still pin most of my commonly used programs right to the task bar anyway. I like many people wish there was a choice in the matter. A simple setting to chose between the new "Metro interface" and a "traditional interface."  For crying out loud - There are some small programs like the ones we are discussing that make this happen - so why not just include it?  Yeah, I know. Change is inevitable.

Agreed on all fronts. There should have been better OEM support of the classic interface without users going 'aftermarket'. That being said, the platform is incredibly stable. Once I had it looking like the Windows of old I've been incredibly happy with it. Also, the boot time is fantastic. It feels like the system is up and running only a few seconds after pressing the power button.

I'm in the middle of getting rid of all but two of my windows machines. I'm fed up with micrsoft and it's crappy operating systems.I'm keeping one at home just in case I need windows for some reason and one at work until ADP starts supporting android. Otherwise I'm switching to all Android tablets, mainly because of thier simplicity of use. They are cheaper and faster than laptops and desktops. If they lockup it doesnt take much to end the task or restart them( current start time on my xp machines after lockup= 8-10min)(win 7 not much faster). I tried out win 8, I really dont like it and it locked up 3 times the first time i used it. The win 8 computer is now almost a year old and as slow as my xp machines. The worst part is I've grown up with this microsoft and I always gave it the benefiut of the dought. Well this year I'm calling it quits with microsoft. The one thing I'll give microsoft is that thier software has always been open to aftermaket use, unlike apple who uses only proprietary programs and files. Nothing like having to pay twice for music/files/programs because the device you want to put it on can't play the apple file because apple will sue them for doing so. Sorry about the rant just had to get this off my chest. thanks

MS and Windows does nothing but piss me off regularly, too, but we're stuck. No auto/truck mfr makes Mac software that I know of.

The biggest thing that makes me mad is how the software "engineers"  move shit around in each new version of (any) software for no apparent reason at all.  It does nothing but create confusion.

:grin:

Funny you guys bring up Mac... I saw something recently in a tech mag/news where Apple was showing production inside one of their factories. In the background the assembly line on a computer screen... with a Windows  operating system.  DOH!  :facepalm: