6.7L front cover oil leak (vacuum pump) and oil dye

Rate this topic

Hello everyone

Got a 6.7L with oil leak. Looked at obvious culprits (engine valley, turbo) and found none. Found vacuum pump leaking (done few of them already) Replaced the pump and cleaned off the engine. Added oil dye (with oil change) took it home few times and notice oil still collection of front cover area but could not see the dye (I think im paranoid and just residual) First time I recleaned the engine after noticed oil was still accumulating. Also noticed oil on to of water pump (when you remove the air cleaner boot and look straight down its in between the idler/fan clutch pulley bolts). Today I noticed oil is present there again. I removed the fan, pulley. and could not see anything above the water pump that has an oil leak. Coolant has no oil in it and I see no dye in it. Have you guys had other problems with oil leak in front cover area. It doesn look like front seal is leaking and I cant see dye. Also about dye, I have been working on this things since 08, put dye on multiple vehicle (mainly when I was busy and just told customer to bring it back) quite honestly I never actually use black light on them cause there are almost always the same oil leaks (7.3 start with intake tubes, sometimes hp pump, some times the trubo back pressure valve, some times cac tube etc; 6.0L few front crank seals, bunch of bed plates, rear main seal, etc; 6.4L front crank, front cover, few bed plates, rear main, etc; 6.7L turbo supply fittings, vacuum pumps, etc) so I never really cared for if it works or not, but this one I used black light and cant see crap...do you know of a good oil dye company or are they all the same.

Thank you and have a good weekend

The secret to EFFECTIVELY using oil dye in diesel engines in particular is to use the proper amount of dye for the amount of oil in the engine. All dyes that I have seen have a formula for how much to use. I use Dye-Lite All In One UV tracer dye by Tracerline which requires one 1-ounce bottle of dye PER 5 quarts of oil. So on an engine with a capacity of 12-15 quarts of oil you must use three 1-ounce bottles. Next, I have confidently determined that dirty engine oil in diesel engines adversely affects the performance of the dye due to the heavy soot in the oil which I assume covers up the dye, I strongly recommend changing the engine oil and filter prior to adding dye if the oil is due for service.

As a side note, the required amount of dye is most important with engine oil. When using the dye in lighter lubricants such as transmission oil you may not necessarily need to use 1 bottle per 5 quarts. in our truck transmissions that push the 20 quart capacity depending on model you may in fact get away with using only one or two bottles. The same goes for power steering and even fuel systems.

I did chage the oil prior to adding dye and we are using some "Wurth" staff so Not sure if it is any good, I am going to ask them to get traceline for next one and will one more to two I already added. Thanks

• 2 years later...

2011 F-450 6.7 135k..Vacuum pump bolts loose causing an oil leak. Customer opted for updated vac pump instead of just replacing the gasket. Just curious if most techs have been just replacing the gasket or the pump in similar situations?

For the oil leak concern under customer pay I replace the whole pump. It's a better option for the customer due to the parts warranty. I have not done any of these under warranty in a while.

I have had one vacuum pump fail and cause no vacuum and several others that filled all the lines with oil.

Honestly I do not understand how it is possible for the vacuum pump to fill the whole system with oil but it is clear that it can happen.

For the oil leak concern under customer pay I replace the whole pump. It's a better option for the customer due to the parts warranty. I have not done any of these under warranty in a while.

I have had one vacuum pump fail and cause no vacuum and several others that filled all the lines with oil.

Honestly I do not understand how it is possible for the vacuum pump to fill the whole system with oil but it is clear that it can happen.

Any oil filled vacuum system I have repaired has had damaged front hub seals that allowed water and dirt to get pulled into the system when the 4x4 hublock system is in use. The dirt gets into the pump and wrecks the seal. The pump is fed lube oil from the engine, as soon as the seal goes, it fills everything with oil. 

• Like 1

Any oil filled vacuum system I have repaired has had damaged front hub seals that allowed water and dirt to get pulled into the system when the 4x4 hublock system is in use. The dirt gets into the pump and wrecks the seal. The pump is fed lube oil from the engine, as soon as the seal goes, it fills everything with oil.

And so we learn... :rockon:

Well fuck! How the hell are we supposed to know that in order to perform an effective repair?

Leon did you hear about this somewhere or did you figure it out on your own. I'm sure ford would be very interested to know this

Well fuck! How the hell are we supposed to know that in order to perform an effective repair?

Leon did you hear about this somewhere or did you figure it out on your own. I'm sure ford would be very interested to know this

First one I had come in had been done by another dealer 2 months prior. Started by checking every single vacuum hose on the truck and found oil all the way down to the front knuckles. Quick inspection of the front hubs revealed worn out wheel bearings and badly leaking hub seals. Sent findings off to the hotline and they agreed with my diagnosis. Never said if they had seen it before and never heard anything more on the subject.

I did one recently that had oil all the way to the 4wd vacuum solenoid and it stopped there. The solenoid was packed shut with dirt. Didnt think anything past that though unfortunately. (I am constantly denied up selling warranty)

Sadly this truck will probably return with repeat failure of the pump. I told my service manager about what you posted and he's not sure if we'll retroactively bring the customer back or not. Most likely he'll forget in a day.

I feel horrible I wasn't able to address the root cause but I guess I'll live