Retreads?

Rate this topic

Is it worth it?

I picked up a used but not abused equipment trailer - 2003 SWS, 20' deck + 2' beavertail. 7000 lb twin axles with ST235/80/16" load range G. The whole works is in pretty darn good shape save for the tires which are hurting in a bad way.

The tire casings/sidewall all say 'regrooveable' on them. I know that regrooveable means burning/forming deeper treads using the existing treads as a guide. At the same time, I think these things are retreadable. Anybody have experience with this? If it's possible, is it worth it? Does a place like Fountain or KalvTire offer retreading on a small scale?

If its a Chinese tire throw it away. Most trailer ST tires are shitty china made crap and you lucky if you get a year out of them before they shit the bed by dry rotting.

You have 16s already so look for a good LT tire and call it a day. These will have plenty of load capacity and better rubber on the ground that will last several years vs the 1-1.5yrs from a china ST tire.

They are Goodyears, but all the same who knows where they are made.

I'm quoting out both options, but I'm not going to go E load LT. The load capacity on those G rated Goodyears at 110 psi is well north of 4000 lbs each  - nothing to sneeze at.

Thanks for the feedback

I have had Goodyear G rated 235/85r16 all steel in three different models on new trailers in the last dozen or so years. THEY ALL BLEW UP. I kept thinking that the living quarter horse trailers they were on were getting nails or whatever and going low on air in motion and then failing. Goodyear warranted some of them.

I switched to Michelin XPS rib and to Wan Li and those trailers have not had any tire failures. I wore out a set of XPS ribs with no failures.

I wouldn't have any of those heavy rated Goodyear trailer tires.

I am far from alone. I have met several others at the horse shows who had Goodyears do the same. Maybe the fact that these trailers when full of horses do put over 3000# on each tire. But Michelins with the std DOT specs of 3042# will live through this and the Goodyears with 3520# (or something thereabouts) are not likely to take it.

Kal tire does bandag retreads, most of them seem to be pretty good. Just need to inspect them regularly, if the tread strip pulls of the casing it makes a mess of your trailer/cargo.