PCM looses KAM

Rate this topic

pcassidy111

I'm working on a 1996 F250, 5.8L that looses KAM. The customer is trying to smog the truck and it fails because it has more than 2 monitors that have not run. I did the drive cycle and got all of the monitors to run but as soon as I shut the key of and restarted the truck the scanner indicated that 4 of the monitors needed to run. I then did a KOER test with the DPFE disconnected to set a KOER and continuous memory code for the DPFE. I shut the truck off and restarted it, then checked to see if the DPFE code was still in continuous memory, it was not. I checked voltage to the KAM terminal and the 7 ground circuits from the PCM, cleaned the grounds for the PCM on the body and cleaned the battery terminals. Then with the breakout box installed but the PCM disconnected I used a headlight powered off of the KAM terminal (#55?) to test each of the 7 ground wires at the PCM, all were good. I believe the PCM is bad but I have never seen this type of problem, has anyone out there experienced this problem? Did the PCM fix it? Thanks for your time, Pete

Then with the breakout box installed but the PCM disconnected I used a headlight powered off of the KAM terminal (#55?) to test each of the 7 ground wires at the PCM

Pete, thats a good way to test those ground circuits. It is possible to test a ground with an meter and have it show exellent continuity but put a load on the circuit and it couls still show a failure. Sounds like you covered everything. Did you try a new PCM and did it fix it? just wondering how you made out with it. I also heard some performance chips can cause the KAM code too

I'll bet you theres nothing is wrong with that truck Pete....it's got a GVW over 8,500lbs

trucks over 8500 GVW are Non-OBD II compliant and have the same OBD II connector as under 8,500 GVW trucks but they do not have the same self-diagnostic strategies that have been designed into their lighter counterparts. Evaporative emission and catalyst efficiency monitors are two examples so it will fail a OBDII test every time. I'm in NY and we have an OBDII inspection"smog"test I get people all the time that come to us because "MY F-250 failed inspection at the local repair shop now you gotta fix it". Well if it's over 8500 it needs a tailpipe sniff test not an OBDII scan. I'm not sure about the tests in your area but I'm sure it's very similar.

More reading on the subject http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/obdsm962.pdf

Thanks for the replies, been tied up on a bed plate reseal on a Cadillac Northstar motor, (180K mile motor, what was the service writer thinking?), not a bad job I presume compaired to a 6.0L. I'm going to install the PCM next week and will report the results.

eastendpowerstroke, in CA all vehicles up to 14K pounds are OBD 2. Another indicator that there is a problem is that the PCM will not retain a continuous memory code when the key is cycled off then on again.