One Of These Things Doesent Look Like The Others

Rate this topic

More FQR engine follies. This engine had a broken exhaust rocker and no boost. Strangely enough I did not conclude that the boost issue was related to the short vane shown here but rather the jammed actuator piston in the CRH. This engine also required installing three thread repair inserts oft the rocker cover I had off to replace the rocker arm.  You cant make this shit up!

turbo-vane-1.jpg

turbo-vane-2.jpg

Wow.  Did you notice the profile of the vane looking different than the rest?

The 03-04.25 turbos (horizontal rear mounting bolt) have taller slimmer vanes than the 04+.  This is because the inducer length of the turbine must match up with the vane height and obviously the 03 uses a very different turbine than the later years.  I can imagine that thing never did run quite right with that mixed up vane in there.

If needed I can snap some pics showing the various 6.0 turbos and their measurements. 

If needed I can snap some pics showing the various 6.0 turbos and their measurements.

Matt that would be an interesting write up. most guys would never even know about these differences. I didn't until I ran into this but I didnot know what the differences are. Now I know!I did not measure any of the vanes to compare the dimensions but I put them side by side and the differences were many. In general the early vane is just simply smaller.