Glowplug Stuck in Bore

Rate this topic

Got a buddy's 03 F-250 with a poorly maintained and heavily bastardized. His problems all started when his dad decided to borrow it and was too cheap to buy diesel for it and decided to pour unfiltered used fry oil in the tank. Truck made it about 15 miles down the road with 7000 lbs behind it and shut off, they replaced the fuel filters managed to flat tow it over by me idling away and missing like crazy. I found a stuck wide open injector pumping air into the fuel rail. Put the one bad injector in it, and then 2 months later I put the other 3 in on that bank. Drained the fuel tank and changed the filters again when I put the first injector in it. This last winter it started missing some and left him stranded again. I never saw the truck after this happened, but it has been driven around with #3 and 5 injectors missing since then and of course towing heavy the whole freaking time. (Anywhere from 7000 to 27,000 lbs) Now I got it after I told him this last spring that he was gonna tear it up towing with a misfire. Verified the misfires, I can't even accelerate empty without it falling on it's face. It sounds normal when it cranks over, but it shakes like hell cranking. I did the bubble test and didn't find anything abnormal. Went to run manual compression on it yesterday and I couldn't get the #1 glow plug out of the hole. It turned hard with the ratchet and felt really weird. This was on a half warm motor. I did finally get it out by throwing an impact on it and spinning it until it freed up and then cranking the truck over to blow it out. The glow plug looks normal and it went back in normal. Compression showed up 100 psi low on that cylinder.

Did I just have carbon buildup on the side of the plug? I had the glow plug out 2 years ago when I did the bubble test to find the bad injector.

• 3 weeks later...