2015 6.7 Changes

Rate this topic

Has anyone heard about or seen the changes on the 2015 6.7's?

I had a 2015 F-350 truck (not a cab-chassis) come in today for a check engine light on and had a P0234- turbo overboost code. I ran PPT KA and there was no mention of a wastegate like in previous years and I looked at the turbo and it's a cab-chassis turbo. The other strange thing is that it has a PID for the wastegate. The EBP sensor tube is longer moving the sensor beside the upper intake instead of behind it which is nice. Also the ECT2 sensor is not in the EGR cooler there is just a brass plug in the hole where it was, I don't know where it is now.

I don't know why they would get rid of the other turbo that we have no problems with and go with the one that the bearing wear out. 

The 11-14 dual boost turbo is actually a very small turbo for the size engine it's used on.  I imagine it was basically maxed out the way it was.  There was really no room to crank up the output of the engine without the risk of overspeeding the turbo.   The ball bearing design is probably a little more efficient(faster spool up) but believe it or not the brass journal bearings are a little tougher.  It comes down to less moving parts = less wear.  A lot of 6.7 guys in the performance crowd were spinning apart the turbo.

We shall see how the new turbo plays out.  It's definitely larger and more comparable to the size turbo that is used on the 6.0L. Obviously cost is a factor too, journal bearings are always going to be cheaper than ball bearings. Another thing to think about is pickup trucks most likely won't see the heat that cab and chassis trucks do so if they experience less turbo failures then we'll know heat(from the adjacent exhaust manifolds) is a primary factor

The reason they moved the ECT2 sensor, and BTW I don't know where it went to either, is that the secondary cooling system no longer flows through the EGR cooler. Have a look at the heater hose coming off the engine.