Ford Says "Can't Reprogram Tire Size Anymore"

Rate this topic

Like I fucking said - these changes all have an effect when you change anything speed related on these late model trucks. PERIOD. My truck... Well let me tell you, after driving for a while you begin to notice that the navigation shows the truck blocks away from where it actually is. I have wasted hours going over this with my new truck with its "new" 20" tires. Engineering is adamant that you cannot change tire size now.

Are we venting today?

That truck hasn't been back for me to do anything else with. I keep bugging the service writer to get him scheduled to get his vibration taken care of.

I chased the nav deal on a 2014 that someone else put oversized tires on and programmed the size larger. It has a recurring P160a and the nav shows the truck driving through the forest and houses, not on the street it is actually on. When hotline told me it was the tires I was sceptical, until I put the stockers on for winter, and the nav magically worked fine.

But its all programming.......It would be smart for ford to allow programming changes for something like tires, backup camera, power telescope mirrors etc. I am not saying support a huge tire but at least make the options available for like vehicles built. Customers are are going to end up doing it anyway via the aftermarket. Then you can have aftermarket headaches to sort through afterwords anyway so why not allow us to do it correctly? Lets face it people are not going to leave their vehicles alone any time soon. They never have and never will leave them alone.

One thing that does erk me about ford is everything is always different and very specific to the vehicle its on. Not really related but Ill tell it anyway....On my rockcrawler one thing I thought was amazing was taking a 1986 toyota pickup with a 22re engine and bolting in a 2001 Tacoma 4 cylinder with minimal effort!  I had to change some wiring around a bit and swap a bell housing but all in all it was like 4 wires to hook up to the 1986 stuff. 15year spread motor swap with little to no effort to do so! I would not have been able to do that with a ford.

Totally agree with you on that. On my problem truck, we installed the very same wheels and tires that the truck would have come with if ordered with them. Its not like we threw a lift under it and put monster mud tires on it. You might even say it was a factory upgrade. :D

More flexibility means more work on their end, which in turns drives down profits if they want to stay competitive. It all comes down to that in the end. 

Totally agree with you on that. On my problem truck, we installed the very same wheels and tires that the truck would have come with if ordered with them. Its not like we threw a lift under it and put monster mud tires on it. You might even say it was a factory upgrade. :D

This is exactly my point. Its a size offered by ford on the same line of vehicle but because it was not "ordered and built" with that particular size they will not let you program to that size. Also what happens when a particular tire size is no longer available? or if we want to get more critical what happens when you can not buy the exact same brand and size tire as it was built with? If you look at revolutions per mile for each brand of tire it can vary greatly even if its the exact same size. An example would be BFGs, they are known to be smaller then a comparable tire in the same size....

I have a suspicion that it's more of an emmisions thing with the tires.

Same here and there is probably some retarded rule out there that makes it far more costly to give us the flexibility to change tire size then its worth

This is exactly my point. Its a size offered by ford on the same line of vehicle but because it was not "ordered and built" with that particular size they will not let you program to that size. Also what happens when a particular tire size is no longer available? or if we want to get more critical what happens when you can not buy the exact same brand and size tire as it was built with? If you look at revolutions per mile for each brand of tire it can vary greatly even if its the exact same size. An example would be BFGs, they are known to be smaller then a comparable tire in the same size....

I have a suspicion that it's more of an emmisions thing with the tires.

Same here and there is probably some retarded rule out there that makes it far more costly to give us the flexibility to change tire size then its worth

How many people actually put the original tire back on when they wear them out? Especially if they didn't last more than 10,000 miles.

What about the fact that most of the info and data gets sent on some form of bussed network. I am by no means a programmer or software writer but if all these modules talk on the same buss it might be a little more involved then just changing one line of code.

The last thing anyone wants to find out is that one module is talking gibberish in a crash event. I would like to add that for me some of the newer "safety" features are not something that I feel I need but I also know how some people are, especially when lawyer's get the a smell of money that may be involved.