Fluctuating oil pressure

Rate this topic

I have seen fluctuating oil pressure at high idle (1500-2000 rpm) on most 6.0's I have ever checked. These were trucks with no oil pressure related problems. I will measure oil pressure for several reasons but always when I have one that has the intermittent or leaking oil pressure switch causing oil light to come on. I checked one today and it was running 55-60 psi hot @ 2000 rpm but the gauge would wiggle a bit and drop to 45 and then back to 60 and settle and then bob up and down again.

I guess I need to consider suggesting repairs on these. My suspicion is bypass valve wear in the oil filter housing base.

Anyone got experience with this before I throw money and time at it?

I did look at oil pump relief valve and it is OK and spring is same height as new spring. No marks on valve piston either.

I would think I would have to use something to close the drain valve if I left filter out but that wouldn't be too hard to do since that drain doesn't have a strong spring.