Not your normal startup

Rate this topic

This was on an 05 E-450 ambulance that has reliably given me the weirdest problems. They were complaining of a cold start issue I'm sure was related to the low FICM voltage I found. Before that I was driving it around, stopping it, restarting it, ran my boost and EGR tests, no codes in continuous or on demand, yet. Starts fine every time.Then this happened and I'm not sure if it was cause or effect. It was right after my EGR test so I assumed right away the valve got stuck based on the way it was running. Very choppy high RPM idle, very loud due to the high ICP.I ran codes again and P2284 popped up in continuous. Very interesting, whatever the fault was I don't know if I caught it or this was a result of it. During cranking IPR instantly jumps to 85% and ramps down to 65ish while its running even though ICP is way higher than it should be.Anyone ever seen anything like this?  Pulled the IPR out and the screen looked fine.  Put an ICP sensor in it because the old one looked...well....old.  Drove the hell out of it today and it never acted up again.  :shrug:

image.jpg

Don't the early 6.0 have to learn turbo VGT and other stuff when KAM is cleared? Maybe that's what was going on, probably not but just thought I would throw that out there as a distraction :)

Is that funny stuff going on in the voltage pid normal or is there maybe some alternator issue? I am not sure when the truck started?

Don't the early 6.0 have to learn turbo VGT and other stuff when KAM is cleared? Maybe that's what was going on, probably not but just thought I would throw that out there as a distraction :)Is that funny stuff going on in the voltage pid normal or is there maybe some alternator issue? I am not sure when the truck started?

That's the 06E17, which was F only until 9/03 and never applied to E-s.

Off the top of my head I was thinking FP as it will kick up ICP when FP drops off. Other than that, some weird electrical like grounds (or alt, like 8w said.)  I'd load test the bats and clean connections for a start.

Your powers did come up after the GPs cycled, right? Did you pull up ICPDES?

8W- the graph shows a stall and restart, which might be confusing you.  Look at the RPM and FSync which tells the story.

:grin:

It wasn't a stall, I shut it off after coming back from a road test and performing the EGR test. Cycled the key on and cranked. I hit the capture button a little late because I wasn't expecting any issues.

Also this thing has a new harness within the last year

• Like 1

besides volatge being low, id think its commanding too much pressure given the rpm.  Even the IPR being 60+% at 900rpm seems way too high.

How much FP does it have?  But first i agree on cleaning all cables and looking oer grounds and see if anything changes!

It's gone for now, if any other issues arise I'll be the first to know. Right now I'm just not sure what happened.

I don't know about the high idle, I'm assuming its factory, maybe BCP? I didn't see a controller (factory or aftermarket) mounted anywhere in the cab. Pushing the e-brake in park kicks it on

As for the fuel pressure it wasn't checked. I did have the engine out last year so I rechecked the engine ground and it was fine.

I took a normal start up screen shot but I forgot to send it to myself. I'll post it here if I get a chance tomorrow

I don't know about the high idle, I'm assuming its factory, maybe BCP? I didn't see a controller (factory or aftermarket) mounted anywhere in the cab. Pushing the e-brake in park kicks it on.

If you wire the PTO wires directly to B+ it will do that. Sometimes it prevents running KOER because it thinks the PTO is engaged, and the wire needs to cut to proceed.