Torqshift 6 Intermediate Clutches

Rate this topic

I had another topic on one of these shifting hard into 2nd and 6th where I found that the intermediate clutch clearance was excessive. Three times the maximum specification as a matter of fact. There was no observable wear or damage. I am into another unit for a low reverse failure and I always go through the entire unit while it is on the bench. Sure enough, I found the intermediate clutch as loose as the last with 1.5mm clearance and again, no wear or damage.

Something has to be up with this. The wavy cushion ring appears to be fairly flat but I recall a new one wasn't much better, but it was. I am thinking that the wavy ring is not holding up and or these are not being properly set at the factory. So this time I am not going to replace anything but the select fit snap ring and bring the clutch pack into specification. The way I see it the ring, if it is flattening with use will only happen again with a new ring. Do we really need to "cushion" a clutch in an electronically controlled transmission? This customer was not complaining about any harsh shifting but I do not want to have to take it back out in the future.

I am wondering if any of you are coming across this and also to keep this in mind - if you have one apart take a look at this clutch and measure the clearance and see what you have regardless of weather it is the causal part or not. My curious mind wants to know!

I'll add a couple pics later...

IMG_28171.JPG

IMG_28211.JPG

IMG_28221.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Wave plates are typically used to cushion apply engagement. As it flattens the cushioning ability is diminished and the clearance increases.

I wonder if you manually stacked that clutch (add an extra friction against another friction without a steel it won't hurt anything just remove clearance) and left the wave plate out what the shift quality and longevity would be like.

I have now resided to reusing all of the parts (except if they are damaged) and leaving the not so wavy plate in there and adjusting the clearance with the selective snap ring to get the clearance into the proper specification. It usually takes one of the thicker rings that are in the parts listings. The results have been excellent. The shift quality is perfect so I really question how effective that wavy plate really is on this transmission. The plate is not very thick or strong either. Its electronically controlled so shift time and feel being programmable and adjustable through the adaptive learning I would think that would be enough. Seems to me anyway and the results I have gotten seem to support that. But, I am no engineer. Having a sloppy clutch combined with the adaptive strategy will give you a hard shift every time.

I have a couple extra clutch plates hanging around now so removing the wave and doubling up on the bottom plate might get you into spec iin a pinch. I know my parts department does not stock any snap rings and I don't expect them to. Waiting an extra day to order additional parts lie select fit snap rings and thrust washers is just part of the deal.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/magazine/view/e77e2ba8-0be4-48d5-81a2-21ebd04ca2c9#page14

There's an article here from an auto trans magazine regarding some harsh shift stuff. I wanted to post it here before my laptop battery died so I didn't get a chance to read all of it - but it was interesting and I thought I'd share.

I don't see how the intermediate clutch would cause a harsh 2-1 down shift as the clutch is unapplied.  The problem I had with this concern was harsh 1-2 upshift, harsh 3-2 downshift and harsh 5-6 upshift.  

Like I said, I didn't get a chance to read the whole thing. LOL.

I'm just putting together a TH400 for my hotrod and the clearances on that compared to anything now make me chuckle.

Gone are the days of ~.010 per plate.

My directs (high gear, 6 friction plates) are at .060, forwards at .020 (they are only off in reverse, so clearance here isn't really important) and my intermediates at .040

That being said this thing pulls the next range so hard it feels like someone ran into the back of the car.

That being said this thing pulls the next range so hard it feels like someone ran into the back of the car

My dad was a GM trans tech in the 70s and 80s, he built me a 400 for my hotrod gmc pickup that would shift like that.