HD Diesel OBD-2

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I just qualified on the Cummins CM2350 engine control system this week.  It was no surprise and I guess it has slipped past me that these engines were now OBD-2 compliant as they are supposed to be now. (this is what happens when there are large gaps in your training schedule)  We know that the Cummins ISB 6.7L had an aftertreatment system but they are now (since 2013 production) equipped with SCR and OBD-2. The course covered mid-range and heavy duty engines - ISB, ISL and ISX series. 

The course was mostly an update to the previous certification and for any tech with a background and experience with Ford diesels for example this is old news. The exhaust aftertreatment It is for the most part exactly like the Ford system.  The trouble I had which in the end was not a problem was the lack of familiarity with Cummins, the QSOL website and the INSITE software. This was quickly overcome however. The instructor has a great approach to instruction and the other techs in the class were as friendly and helpful as you could want them to be.

One of the new tings I was thrust into with no familiarity at all was the Cummins EDS (Expert Diagnostic System) which is a guided diagnostic system that guides a tech through pinpoint tests where each and every step is logged with your findings and results. The system keeps a database of fault codes and conditions and with time becomes smarter and more accurate. This is similar to the guided diagnostics in the Ford workshop manuals but takes it much further. First, its use is mandatory. Your diagnostic session will take the steps you completed and not only log them, create an audit trail but  also show the relevant and claimable labor ops and times. It even promotes leaving notes and feedback. An engine ECM Image must also be uploaded.

I am impressed with how far the HD part of the industry has come!