CAT Clean Gas Induction

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I went back to CAT this week for emissions cert training, which was on-line by the way but that is another story. Anyway, As we all learn about the new emissions equipment and the way it all works you will learn that it's not all that complicated. The interesting thing about Caterpillar is that they designed their EGR system to recirculate exhaust gasses AFTER the diesel particulate filter. This results in almost no soot being introduced into the intake. What's more is that although CAT is using a cooler for the exhaust gasses, they introduce the gasses before the turbocharger compressor which mixes the gasses very well and further cooling takes place in the charge air cooler.

And if you are taking notes, CAT does not use the term EGR. Their system is called CGI for clean gas induction. Have a look-see! Exhaust gasses are taken from the outlet side of the diesel particulate filter through the CGI line.

Posted Image

They arent the only ones with a system like this in the works. Do you know when they plan on inplementing this? This method works really well just a little slow reacting.

• 3 weeks later...

We have had a couple of these 07' engines in our shop and I think they will be fairly good. They have issues with the dpf regenerating though. That is the only trouble with them we have experienced so far at our shop. They pretty much told us these trucks can not idle. To look at them in chassis is a bit scary. All of them we have had so far have been in long nose peterbilt and kenworth chassis. I can just imagine when they get them into short nose chassis like a columbia class freightliner or 387 peterbilt. The old ACERT engine are actually pretty easy to work on. Getting all that air piping off to remove an exhaust manifold isnt too bad believe it or not.

• 2 months later...

And I was under the impression that CAT engines were GOOD! Is this not the case? You would think that with the 6.0 on the market that anything would be better. I really dont see medium trucks so I am just curoius

If it aint a CAT its a DOG! ...or something. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

• 2 months later...

I took the ACERT Operation Readiness Test today.

Scored a 97% /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

I still think CAT is out of their minds with that crazy ass complicated system. Recirculating clean exhaust gases is a great idea but damn! My head hurts. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

It looks alot better than the carbon collecting system on the sick litres. I just wonder how the 64 caliber flame thrower EGR system is going to hold up. I guess only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the ACERT Operation Readiness Test today.

Scored a 97% /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

I still think CAT is out of their minds with that crazy ass complicated system. Recirculating clean exhaust gases is a great idea but damn! My head hurts. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

Man you could Not have put that comment any better.They have Made a total Mess out of The C-15 550'S.It is Unbelieveable the Crap hanging on them now.And I am willing to bet They are Going to loose plenty of sales for this abortion of a Emission system.The New 389 Petes coming in Lately to our dealership are 90% ISX Cummins power.Pre 08 tks It was the Exact opposite.CAT was the Dominant Powerplant.Cummins is still just Using the Cooled EGR system plus DPF.Its simple, its a Clean setup and Fits well on the ISX engine.Compare a 08 550 CAT to a 08 565 ISX cummins side by side.It is truely shocking at the Amount of Crap hanging off BOTH sides of the CAT Engine.The After-treatment Fuel Injector Looks like a Freaking Gattling Gun Its mounted In exhaust right Behind the Low pressure Turbo on a C-15.While the Clean Air EGR deal may be a good Idea.It is a total mess of a system the way its routed and Seeing all this In a Chassis of the Tk will make you cringe at the Thoughts of Having to tear into the engine.When CAT first released the ACCERT setup they stated they would never Need or use a EGR system.Well that certainly has changed.When I went through The Cummins update classes for the 08's.The Instructor said that All of the Manufacturers have pretty Much hit the Limits of In cylinder combustion conrtoll and % of EGR recirculation for NOX reduction.The word is Urea Injection of some type will be the Next step.CAT may get away with Upping the % of EGR they feed back in to make the Cut since its Supposedly "Clean" LOL...But That remains to be seen.As you stated Theirs is a complicated Mess to put it bluntly.

CAT may get away with Upping the % of EGR they feed back in to make the Cut since its Supposedly "Clean" LOL...But That remains to be seen.

Perhaps they may be able to raise the amount of CGI flow. According to their data they use a maximum of 15% CGI flow compared to 30% of EGR flow. With the CGI gasses being clean I wonder if that will have a notable impact on engine life, or should I say I wonder how EGR is going to impact engine life... CAT may still come out ahead in the long run. I am still waiting to see how all of these 6.0L engines are going to age. With all of the carbon that gets trapped around the EGR valve it makes you think about how much carbon is passing through the engine. It HAS to have an effect wouldn't you think???

I agree it is Not doing any good things for the engine.One would think the particulates have to have some amount of a Abrasive effect on the Rings and Cyl walls.My only first hand Inspection of a EGR system motor Was a ISX Cummins.I did a Headgasket on It for a Minor Oil leak, Had close to 80,000 miles on it. The Intake had a slight Build of Carbon in it.After pulling the head the Bores looked excellent, Valves were Not crudded up and the Piston crowns just had Normal carbon build on them.They run a Fairly High % of EGR flow.So it may not be as Bad as we think.