F-550 rear vehicle lean

Rate this topic

Hey guys I've got a new 2015 F-550 here that's got a service body with a crane.  The dealer who sold the truck tried to upfit the body themselves and it's pretty obvious they were in over their heads and didn't quite get the job done in the time needed.  The truck was pulled out of there and brought here.

The main thing I'm unfamiliar with is how to address the body lean from the unevenly distributed weight over the ass end.  Basically it's sagging 3" lower on the right than the left measured from the ground to the top of the wheel well (tires aired up to max).  I know I've seen trucks with extra leafs (or spacers?) added to one side but I'm not sure of the specifics or who would offer something like this.  Even a heavier spring pack would be great but I doubt something like is available and I'm sure it's made on a custom basis.  As far as OEM goes this truck already has the heaviest springs. 

Anyone know anything about what I need or what the norm is for how upfitters address this?  If I'm going to be the truck guy I guess I should know this stuff.  No better time to learn.  My parts guy called a spring shop and they weren't much help.  I'll only send it to them if absolutely necessary.

I may have a few other questions about some of their other concerns too.  (I have a 6 line RO with upfitter issues)

I believe the last truck I rigged(keeping in mind this was a 2006 F550 back in 2006, so its been awhile) we got a complete spring pack from another truck to steal a single leaf or 2 and add in to account for crane weight and level out. Another option could be airbags/onboard compressor with dual control valve. The third option is with how they load their tools and to load more heavy tools on the opposite side to level it out also.

That sounds like a good idea about stealing a couple leafs from a new spring pack.  Do you recall if a longer centering pin or u-bolts were needed?  I imagine so. 

I didn't think of it before but one of my good fleet customers has a new F-550 crane truck, perhaps I'll sneak down there and have a look at it. 

Yes it will need a new centering bolt, at least I have yet to ever come across one that is long enough to permit adding a leaf. Depending on spring width, picking up some wrecking yard spring packs for just a single leaf may be an option if you can't find a spring shop that will make one as a cheaper alternative than buying a complete pack for just 1 or 2 leafs.

Any decent spring shop should be able to make you add in leafs. They will need length, width, thickness and amount of arc. Might be worth busting your spring pack down and having them copy a few of the leafs. Our local finning service truck (08 f-550) has 6 or 7 more leafs on the crane side. It used to sit level, but over time (10,000 hours on it) the non crane side has sagged way further than the crane side, so it sits low on the non crane side now.

Most of our trucks are pretty equal from side to side. For our applications our cranes actually mount between the cab and body and stow accross both frame rails. This keeps them pretty well ballanced. However some of our lighter trucks with service bodys are heavy to curb side. For whatever reason the body manufactures put all the toolbox storage on that side and the tech has no other option but to load everything there getting a hefty lean.

Air bags help but require the driver to keep an eye on them and adjust accordingly. They seem to have a hard time understanding they need to air up one side more to accomidate the weight. For this reason I am not a huge fan of air bags. They do offer you the best flexablity in changing loads however.

We have custom springs made for the rare truck that is biased to one side. We just bring the completed and loaded truck down to the local spring shop and they build a pack to accomidate the weight. The plus side to this set up is its a set and forget type deal. The driver does not have to worry about putting air in his bags.

For the sounds of your truck you have in your bay that leaf springs would be the best fix for the lean. You will need to look at the aftermarket as ford will not have anything to correct the about of lean your having.

Thanks for all your input guys.  This truck has a crane on the right side and a generator + air compressor on the left.  A lot of times I see an engine driven welder on the left side which seems to help distribute the weight a little better.  Either way the factory springs aren't cutting it.

More and more I'm thinking this is going to have to go to a spring shop to let them handle what they do best. I wouldn't mind figuring it out on my own but parts are the issue here.  The local spring shop will not sell us anything allowing us to build our own pack.  Sourcing everything on my own would be questionable at best and may cost more time than it's worth.  The only reason I ask is it's a new fleet customer fed up with the typical large dealer BS.

I will keep you guys posted though. 

I'm thinking this is going to have to go to a spring shop to let them handle what they do best.  

+1

This also releases the dealer from liability claims as this could have trouble written all over it. Someone didn't spec out the proper truck, someone else modified it to "work"......etc......

Have fun!

:grin: