F150 King Ranch

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

So I saw a brand spankin new Ford F150 King Ranch edition in the shop getting a mechanical pre-delivery inspection.

Absolutely gorgeous truck.

Then I look at the sticker. $65,000+ for a damn 1/2 ton truck!!! Is Ford insane? Are we as a society stupid for paying THAT much for that truck... Or am I just pissed that I can't afford it? Did I mention it's a gorgeous truck... But $65k???

I just priced out a '15 F-250 the way I'd like it equipped, so yeah I know what you mean Matt. I'm blown away at the price difference between a Lariat and a moderately loaded XLT. A lariat the way I would want it, is only about $3Gs South of a Platinum, but I'm not crazy about the tailgates on the Platinums.

I honestly like the eight spoke Lariat 20" wheels the best from what I've seen so far but other than that a Lariat doesn't do much for me. It's a shame you can't get those wheels with an XLT or I could build my ideal truck.

Oh well a XLT premium package will have to do.

NEGATIVE on that Matt. The rims you describe are EXACTLY the rims I want. I was able to build it on an XLT truck, BUT...... equipping it with those 20" rims also prevents you from having hill descent and some other options in that value package. I tried building one with a 3.55 (only because of the 20s). Not sure if 3.55s would be better or the 3.73s. How bad would 3.73s be for fuel economy over the 3.55s?

We will see the $100k ford pickup before too long. We are not far off now. Obviously ford is selling these things at those kind of numbers or they wouldnt be building them. I think it is absolutly absurd what a new pickup costs now days and is really priced the average man out of them. I understand the level of technology and comforts in a new truck which I welcome! However I wish ford would bring back the options A La Cart rather then grouping everything into packages. I beleive this would make the truck more affordable allowing the customer to pick and chose what options he wants. Its a pain when you want a XLT truck and the 20" wheel package that comes on the lariet and have to buy the more expensive truck rather then just the wheel option.

Back in Nov of last year when I was looking at new f250s I could not swollow the price tag for the damn thing. Even after our $5500 fleet discount it was still a $60k truck. Not only do you have the price tag to concider but then there is all the added fees with taxes, tags, etc that get rolled into the loan.

The used market is not much better and being driven by the cost of these new trucks now days too. The used trucks I looked at were damn close to the new truck price or way overpriced for the mileage.   I lucked out and picked up my 2011 f250 for 30k and it was already setup the way I needed it to be. Amp steps, fuel tank, 5th wheel hitch, air bags etc. Only negative is it had 109k miles and a Job 1 truck but it was owned by a family member and Ive done all the service personally.

I do get to venture back into the new car lot soon as the wife needs a new ride. We will either pick up the fusion or new edge which are not terribly priced, not cheap but at least more reasonable then some of these trucks are getting. I can finally get back on D-plan pricing via a family member so hopefully that will help the cost some.

I would prefer the 3.55 for basically anything SRW and a 6.7 regardless of tire size. I went with the 275/70R18s and 3.55 e-locker. The way that engine just plain runs I don't think you need gearing advantage. You'll just be breaking tire everytime it rains a little.

I would prefer the 3.55 for basically anything SRW and a 6.7 regardless of tire size. I went with the 275/70R18s and 3.55 e-locker. The way that engine just plain runs I don't think you need gearing advantage. You'll just be breaking tire everytime it rains a little.

I have the 3.55s in mine with the 20" wheel package. (in 2011 they only options for a SRW were 3.27s or 3.55s) and it does not leave me wanting anything more. Towing power is great even with a fully loaded 26ft bumper pull or 35' 5th wheel toyhauler. Unloaded without traction control you can fry the tires right off the thing even on dry pavement. Traction control is a must on these trucks with these kinda of power numbers

Fuel mileage in town is about 15mpg and about 20mpg on the highway unloaded at 70mph. Any faster and fuel mpg drops drastically. Towing well its pretty much 10mpg no matter what with the toyhaulers. Funny part was my 2001 7.3 with 3.73s and 285s was only marginally worse then my 6.7 is on fuel but night and day power difference. Towing power isnt even in the same catagory!

Unless you plan to have a trailer hooked up to it for its entire life I think you will be fine with the 3.55s ratio

Ford shouldn't make the wide front end feature on F350 DRW tied only to 4.30's and Max Tow package.

4.10 would be more than enough gear. They way they are doing it the F350 with 17 inch tire and 4.30's is a more powerful truck than the F450 with 19.5's and 4.30's. Once you've maneuvered 36 foot and 40 foot trailers with the trucks with the greater wheel cut of the wide front end of 2005 and later 450/550 you hate to give that up.

My next question would be what the engine RPMs would be at highway cruising speeds with the 3.55s? I would be happy as pig or flies in shit to see 15 to 20 MPGs. As it stands right now, my 2007 with 20s and 3.73s will only see 12 to 13 MPGs either at highway or city driving. Mind you, I do have a bit of a lead foot I'll admit. But if I were to pull the trigger on a '15 I guess my question is answered on which gear I will be choosing, since I will likely never be towing with it. I will most definitely be changing my oil every 5000 kms. (3000 miles) like I have with all my vehicles though.

My next question would be what the engine RPMs would be at highway cruising speeds with the 3.55s? I would be happy as pig or flies in shit to see 15 to 20 MPGs. As it stands right now, my 2007 with 20s and 3.73s will only see 12 to 13 MPGs either at highway or city driving. Mind you, I do have a bit of a lead foot I'll admit. But if I were to pull the trigger on a '15 I guess my question is answered on which gear I will be choosing, since I will likely never be towing with it. I will most definitely be changing my oil every 5000 kms. (3000 miles) like I have with all my vehicles though.

My dad has my exact truck in a 15MY. I bought his old one and he bought a new one identical to it. He is actually seeing more MPG vs the my 2011 even being brand new. He is seeing a 2-3mpg more accross the board with it so far.