high pressure fuel system replacement labor time

Rate this topic

Not sure if this has been posted before, was wondering what kind of labor times for complete fuel

system replacement. Truck came in with p0088, reprogrammed and now its back 2 months later with

same code. Took fuel sample from injector supply tube and found metal flake. This is my first one and

not sure on how much labor.

I get roughly 28 hours to do a fuel system.  Make sure you use everything the fuel system job aid tells you to replace. We use to clean the secondary filter housings out if they just had metal, no rust. Then I had a high pressure pump fail within 1000 miles, Ford kicked it back saying since I didn't replace the housing I introduced metal back into the system. That time includes pulling the cab, flushing the heads and low pressure lines, and removing the fuel tank and cleaning a plastic tank or have a metal tank sent off, cleaned, and relined.

I quoted the guy 27 to do everything. Right now its looking like im gonna be buttoning it back up and have a nice day.

I didn't see much in the fuel bowl either but when ahead and quoted it anyway.

I quote the high pressure pump, all injectors, both rails, FRP sensor (which is not reusable ever), secondary fuel filter housing, and both low pressure lines going to the HPFP.  I will take the frame rail pump to the bench and clean it all out along with whatever tank is on the truck.  Now is a good time to have a look at all the other stuff on the engine too, belt tensioner, coolant leaks, exhaust manifolds, etc that are real easy to fix with the cab up.  Same goes for inspecting the rocker arms.   

I've been doing 25 hours lately. 

• 8 months later...

That is the line that goes from the secondary fuel filter housing to the high pressure pump, it runs under the right side of the low pressure turbo. 8C3Z-9C330-B is the number

On retail jobs I also quote 8C3Z-9B337-A which contains a check valve for the HPFP return side. I don't believe the job aid has you changing this but I do.

• Like 1

That is the line that goes from the secondary fuel filter housing to the high pressure pump, it runs under the right side of the low pressure turbo. 8C3Z-9C330-B is the number

On retail jobs I also quote 8C3Z-9B337-A which contains a check valve for the HPFP return side. I don't believe the job aid has you changing this but I do.

Excellent. That was what I was guessing, but I wasn't sure.

Thank you.