6L run on DEF?

Rate this topic

Has anyone had any experience with 6L that have had DEF run through the injectors. I had a 2004 F450 come in 2 weeks ago for lacks power and smoke. P1335 present. They stated they filled it with DEF but don't know if it was run. They also stated it had the tank cleaned and lines flushed with new filters. After replacing the EGR valve and checking oil cooler performance it was running good. Informed customer of other issues that cause EGR valve fouling and they took the truck. 2500 KMS later its back with the EGR valve fouled up again, coolant is low and there seems to be some coolant residue on the EGR valve as well. Going to quote an EGR cooler because it's obviously plugging up as well and possibly leaking. Not sure if I should quote injectors because of the DEF issue. Any thoughts or experience will be appreciated.

I have no experience with anybody running def through a 6.0 fuel system. However if it is running fine and has been running fine the past two weeks I probably wouldn't worry too much about them. Maybe just give them the option to replace the injectors, but if your doing an egr and oil cooler job you really wouldn't be saving them much labor anyway... I guess I'd just leave it alone.

The first problem you have to take care of is the blown EGR cooler which you have definitively verified and diagnosed.

The second issue of the DEF is I suspect that DEF would make quick work of any injector regardless of the engine so with that said I don't think it is an issue to be overly concerned with for now. Especially since you report that the tank and lines were cleaned and the truck not run. The only question I have is what was anyone doing anywhere near a 6.0L truck with a container of DEF? And with THAT said, no, I have no experience with 6.0L engines and DEF probably because it is an extremely unlikely scenario in my opinion. Vandalism? Sabotage?  I can see that.

They approved the cooler and all injectors. Most of the card lock truck stations here have DEF bulk pumps that look like diesel pumps.

They approved the cooler and all injectors. Most of the card lock truck stations here have DEF bulk pumps that look like diesel pumps.

That is what got one of our drivers on a 2012. The pumps look identical in some cases. It ended up starting it and moving it 50ft out of the way before he called someone. That was enough to wipe out everything to the point it wouldnt start. He did loose his job over that  6k dollar mistake

The tube holder is for size reference. I thought at first it came from an injector, but shot that theory down for a few reasons. It's aluminium, there is no spring in the injector and it would have to get through the oil pump. I have taken apart a few oil cooler covers and never seen anything like that in them. Any ideas on where it came from?

Edit: Now that I have the pedestal off the two bolt I thought were broken are just missing.  :whew:

I can't imagine those parts could work their way through the oil feed line.. There's definitely nothing like that anywhere in the turbo but I would check the VGT solenoid just for the hell of it

They look like they might fit, and make the bends with enough oil pressure pushing them. I doubt they came from the VGT. the filter screen is right there, no way they could get back up past it. I am starting to think they may have fallen into the oil cooler cover during the last repair, also found a pen light sitting in the fan shroud.

That's stuff out of the oil.filter housing and stuff isn't it? Not saying it worked it's way there, but if someone set them there to not forget them or something

• 1 month later...

Truck's back with another odd concern. Complaint, started, ran rough then stalled and wouldn't restart. Gets towed in. Starts right up for me and runs good. Let it idle while I put the drive shaft back in. Reved it up a few time to see if it would smoke, when it came back to idle it dropped as low as 400 RPM, according to tach, shock for a bit then cleared up. Then it would not come off idle. I cycled the key and then it was not starting, like it had no ICP. I unplugged the ICP sensor and it started right up and has been running great for the last 2 days. Sadly I didn't have my scan tool there, but it only set the ICP circuit high code when I had it unplugged, and no check engine light. 

Sounds like an intermitant biased icp sensor, no?  Sometimes wiggling the body of a biased one will set it straight, which you may have done by unplugging/ reconnecting it.