Power Balance

Rate this topic

I realize this is probably old news but I'll ask anyways. What does disabling the weak cylinder compensation strategy on these engines do, that makes it sound like a 6.0L diesel?

Pilot injection?

From the PC/ED

Fuel Balancing and Control:

Fuel balancing and control is an algorithm designed to reduce differences in injected fuel quantity from cylinder to cylinder. The increase in crankshaft speed due to individual cylinder combustion events is measured. The amount of fuel injected to each cylinder is then adjusted up or down to minimize the difference in increase in crankshaft speed from cylinder to cylinder. Fuel balancing and control operates in closed loop control in an engine speed range of 500-1150 RPM and a commanded injection quantity of 3.5 to 50 mg per stroke.

I am sure this is documented somewhere.. damned if I can find it.

I believe it cancels fuel correction for all cylinders, sets fuel rail pressure, injection events, injection timing and RPM to a fixed value. You can make any of these engines change the sound of combustion by playing with injection pressure.