7.3 No start, hard start, runs on one bank, then both banks

Rate this topic

2002 f-350 7.3 auto, 230k on it  Towed to me, came from another ford dealer.  They installed an IDM.  Found it to crank and start, run very poor.  I verified the complaint, found about 4 injectors to buzz audibly.  Customer runs veggie oil at times.  Replaced all 8 injectors, found engine to be harder to start than typical after an injector replacement - found icp sensor biased low.  Road test, runs perfect.  Long exit ramp off the highway and I have a slight fuel knock noise which goes away after accelerating, decide to run the road test route again, this time it stalls getting off the ramp, I have a crank no start - all pids look good.  Eventually it starts back up, coughs and sputters for 2-3 seconds, then runs perfect, get it back to the shop - check over everything - don't find any issues.  Drive it around town no stalling.  Appears to stall only when rpms drop down to below 625 ish (converter unlocks, then rpm dips for a split second)  Ride the throttle pedal and we can't duplicate the problem.  I find that in the shop, I can run this at high rpm for a while, get the oil to 190ish and I end up with a very long crank/hard start.  It then only runs on the right bank.  Run a buzz test OK no codes at all.  This then turns into a no start.  I check cam sensor air gap, it is out at .050, grind the front cover, set the gap to .020 and tried a new cam sensor- no luck, changed the ipr valve no luck, air check - no leaks in the high pressure oil system.  Oil reservoir is full.  I have immediate icp that climbs to 2200psi, icp koeo is .24, climbs to 2.2v.  Fuel pw climbs to 4.2 when cranking.  Crank it long enough, and it starts to spit and sputter (like a flooded gas engine) it will then start and run on the right bank.  I removed both valve covers, - little to no oil returning out of return ports, unplug each injector and you can hear the injector coil stop actuating when unplugged.  Shut the engine off,restart it, long crank again, but starts up and runs on all 8.  A few times, it failed the glow plug lamp output test and I have had quite a few keep alive memory codes pop up.  I tried a good test idm, checked fuel pressure, base oil pressure, dead head high pressure pump, leak checked each head for oil leaks, wiggled the harness, inspected pins and connections on what I believe are all the connections for the pcm/idm to engine - 4 connectors on inner fender skirt, idm/pcm conenctions, valve cover gasket connections, engine to chassis connection on the left valve cover. Removed the central junction box, no signs of water.  Load tested power and ground s to the pcm and idm with a 55watt head lamp OK.  Right now I am leaning towards a pcm because it randomly started failing the glow plug light during the self test and the random keep alive memory codes.  Any input is very much appreciated.

Yes, it stalls with the icp disconnected.  The connector for the cjb is clean as a whistle.

Dual alternator truck, I did not try disconnecting them, but I have the belt off working on the no start/hard start so I should not have an ac voltage issue.

Fuel was checked at the right head as the plug is stripped in the left head.  I believe this problem to be a firing issue electronically - when the valve covers are off and you are cranking the engine, it takes a while before you start hearing the injectors pop off, and when it does decide to run on the right bank only, there is very little to no return oil out of the injectors on the left bank.  I tried a test pcm, test idm, made a cam sensor overlay harness.  At a loss on this one...

• 4 weeks later...

Just popped into my head....The high pressure line fittings at the pump have those check valves in them. I remember years ago hearing that if they are put in upside down or left out they will cause starting issues. Just a thought.