Total torque value?

Rate this topic

exmod110

You can't do that. Remember that when you torque a bolt you are measuring the resistance to turn. Torque to yield bolts begin stretching once they reach the yield point and the bolt begins to stretch, the torque measured to turn the bolt no longer increases proportionally and will actually decrease as the fastener exceeds its maximum stretch or "yield"

You could get a pretty good idea if you used an electronic torque wrench to measure the torque as you did your final turn.  I'm not sure the number would be good for anything, but it could be done.

Joe

When I was still at the dealer nearly 9 years ago now, had an older tech there wondering that. I believe it was on a 5.4, and he figured what the torque was after the final turn using one of his torque wrenches. I only remember because he made a comment that one had a lower torque, so he had given it a little extra torque to make it even. I will say it never came back to bite him, was just in for the usual preventative maintenance that I remember.

You could get a pretty good idea if you used an electronic torque wrench to measure the torque as you did your final turn.  I'm not sure the number would be good for anything, but it could be done.

I am sorry Joe but applying a standard torque value and tightening procedure to a TTY bolt WILL result in an improperly tightened bolt and likely result in repeat failures. Do it right guys!!!

This is not a question of doing it right or wrong or cheating, they were torqued as per the spec, Done by hand no air tools were used.. The reason I am asking is I think I made my snap-on 19mm 12 point socket into a 20mm (the chrome is now pealing off it) due to the amout of force required get the final 90 out of it. . just felt like it was 350 flbs pluss of a pull, I was truly expecting something to break!

This is not a question of doing it right or wrong or cheating, they were torqued as per the spec, Done by hand no air tools were used.. The reason I am asking is I think I made my snap-on 19mm 12 point socket into a 20mm (the chrome is now pealing off it) due to the amout of force required get the final 90 out of it. . just felt like it was 350 flbs pluss of a pull, I was truly expecting something to break!

When I first starting doing 6L head gaskets on a regular basis I tried using a torque multiplier on the final 90 because my 1/2 bar was a tad to short. I ended up breaking the 3/4 to 1/2 reducer on the second bolt. After that I bought myself a heavy duty breaker bar. Plus all the sockets I have used on the multitude of 6L and 6.4L's over the years have gotten loose fitting too. 

I have an impact 16mm 6 point that I use specifically for 6.4 head bolts and its worn more than my other normal use 16mm. My 6.4 socket has never seen an impact a day in its life.

I also have a 3/4 ratchet and breaker bar head I use for all those heavy pulls. No doubt these engines wear out sockets.

I was unable to get a 3/4 drive socket in time to do the job so the 1/2 snap-on socket and ratchet with a 3 foot cheater bar had to do the job this time. The socket was brand new when I started the Job... Mercedes 906 medium duty motor for an oil leak ath the rear of the head, leaking through the head gasket.

I am sorry Joe but applying a standard torque value and tightening procedure to a TTY bolt WILL result in an improperly tightened bolt and likely result in repeat failures. Do it right guys!!!

I agree with you.  I was just trying to answer the question in the original post.  If you want to know what your final torque is when stop tightening the fastener, then an electronic torque wrench could tell you.  Just for giggles we tried it on my wife's car when torquing the heads.  If I remember correctly the procedure called for 45 ft/lbs then 60 degrees three times.  Upon reaching the final 180 degrees on each fastener The digital torque wrench displayed about the same number every time.  Kinda cool to do it, but it's just as easy to do it correctly, especially with an electronic wrench that does degrees as well.

Anyone else not trust them?  I still mark all my bolts at 12 O clock and check them for final position when I'm done. 

Joe