cylinder head gasket kit?

Rate this topic

I feel like a complete dumbass,but is there an easy way to figure out which gasket set to order? I read the communization thing, but that confused me even more.The block has 20 mm dowel holes.The gasket set I have has 18 mm gaskets with dowels that go from 18 to 20 .Can someone help thanks

May I also add the following. Yellow ring dipstick, "spaceship" style FICM hold-down nuts and "stepped" exhaust manifold to y-pipe bolts are the quick and easy external visual identifiers of the communized engines (20mm head and block) that are January 2006 and later build engines.

Therefore, the black t-handle style dipsticks (the ones that like to break), with eight 10mm head rocker arm carrier bolts (that was replaced by only two 13mm head bolts), as well as upper brackets that secure the FICM and the non-"stepped" exhaust manifold to y-pipe bolts are on the non-communized engines.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick question, putting a set of 3C3Z ARM heads on a 2004 block. Block has 18mm dowels, heads and gaskets are 20 MM. I flipped the heads and inserted the dowels and set the gasket on and it seems the gasket is flush with the step on the dowel. I am concerned the dowel will limit gasket crush. Should I be concerned? 

The headgaskets are 20mm right? Put the stepped dowels in the block until they rest on the shoulder then set the headgasket down.

Edit - wait I re-read your post. The stepped dowels have always felt tight to me when seating in the block, I'd guess it seats in the head tight too. Is there a shoulder in the bolt hole of the head that the dowel hits against? If not I'd just assume once the head is tightened down the dowels will seat fully.