What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Pickings are slim

- 3 prepaid services this morning

- r/front strut mount on a 15 Explorer

- remote access system on a 15 Explorer

- diag'd a 14 Focus for cam/crank correlation codes, found exhaust -20 degrees and intake -15 with vct solenoids unplugged. waiting on timing parts and clutch parts for a chatter on accel, too.

Got a peek at my first Transit Powerstroke, Coolant wasn't topped up very well when the additional A/C compressor was put on for the rear refrigerated box. Degas bottle was empty, but it took only 2L to get it back to the cold fill line.

Finished up my retail 6.7L EGR cooler core.

Cylinder head on the 6.7L with the blown out exhaust gaskets is done...might try cab off next time, torquing head bolts over the fender is a bugger. 

Still trying to get the locked up 6.4L in the shop, they keep booking in work for me and bumping it. 6.7L rad coming in on Monday

Guess I can't complain..

I'm finally getting back on track after having the other guy here gone for a few weeks. Working on a 6.7 longblock that locked up on the way in the building. Next to it is a 6.7 rollback fuel system. In the drive lane is a 6.0 ambulance for 8 injectors, a turbo cleaning plus heater hoses.

Outside is another 6.0 ambulance that has no high oil pressure and another 6.7 dump that locked up. No cab pull on it

I'm finally getting back on track after having the other guy here gone for a few weeks. Working on a 6.7 longblock that locked up on the way in the building. Next to it is a 6.7 rollback fuel system. In the drive lane is a 6.0 ambulance for 8 injectors, a turbo cleaning plus heater hoses.

Outside is another 6.0 ambulance that has no high oil pressure and another 6.7 dump that locked up. No cab pull on it

Not an electric over hydralic dump?

Nah I don't pull regular cabs because of my 18k lifts. I got the 6.7 engine stand adapters I'll just pull the long block and do it on the stand. It's gonna be rough with the converter still attached though, probably wind up with a partial cab lift.

Could just be age and wear. I have seen multiple glow plugs fail on 7.3L engines many times. As usual be sure to inspect the harnesses and pass though valve cover terminals. They say excessive battery voltage can shorten the life of glow plugs so checking the system voltage at start up is in your best interest. Remember that if the truck has dual generators, the lower generator is controlled by the PCM which turns it off when the glow plugs are commanded on to avoid possible damage to the glow plugs. Faults there should result in DTC's in the PCM. I have also seen some non-OEM high output systems installed on trucks that might also cause issues.

A post like this REALLY should have been it's own topic. That makes it better for discussions and allows the topic to be searchable.

Yeah I have hard time deciding if a post should be a new topic or just random blip on the radar.

'12 Exploder husband scheduled it in (wife's vehicle) complaint of 1 rear lift gate shock bad/makes noise. I take the driver side shock loose and it bumps against the plastic molding on the rear quarter and makes what appeared to be a crack that was already there bigger. The reason I know the crack was already on the inside by the lift gate is the fact that I can see dirt in the crack.

DTS 2.jpg

I call the customer/wife and explain what happened, she says she her original concern was the fact that the lift gate is cocked not so much the noise... So let me get this straight I am going to be paying to fix a rear quarter molding which requires the rear quarter glass to be removed when I just needed to adjust the rear lift gate....Did mention I Hate Exploder's. Sorry Keith nothing personal :cover:

The first e-series 6.0 I ever worked on almost 4 years ago to the day is here. Big box van, wouldn't fit in the old shop so I had to work outside. I haven't seen it since then, it's under different ownership now

Edit - oil in the coolant and the fuel tank is leaking

I learned my lesson about unnecessarily running an engine when it has severe damage. I tried to drive the one longblock I just did in the building and it locked up on the way in. Pulling that engine with the monster torque converter still attached is no fun.

Finished up the 6.7 fuel system today on that F-550 roll back.  This thing has been here forever but I can't do anything about that.  I've been damn sick of being at work 10-12 hours a day plus Saturdays so I stopped putting in so much time.  Then what happens?  The other guy on my side gets hurt, goes off for 2 weeks and I get backed up beyond belief.  It's been a rough start for the year..

Next week is 2 sets of e-series injectors and the locked up 6.7 dump. 

2012 F550 6.7L with 88,000 km's and only 210 PSI compression. It's a fleet rental so we are going to try getting some kind of warranty.

Just finished a 2015 6.7L that had the MAF go south. No power, DPF reading 250% full and EGR flow codes. 

Got a 13 or 14 F-550 outside with a repeat P0234.  This is the one I put a turbo in about a month ago and when I went to drive it post repair the IDS pulled HS-CAN down and the truck went nuts.

I never really got to verify the fix or find out what was going on at the DLC.  :shrug:

Also got a call from a guy Sunday that runs a 15 F-550 service truck for my best fleet customer.  He threw a P0234 and the truck derated just driving flat on the highway.

My 2012 F550 6.7L has some bearing issues, having to really pull on my breaker bar to get at the torque converter nuts. Boy am I glad we didn't get this thing running.

I shipped the 14 F-550 with a new MAP sensor. The old sensor koeo was reading a half psi lower than baro KOEO. I put the turbo on it almost 5k miles ago

Also doing another F-550 for a P2073. Broke the damn up-pipe bolts off in the manifold so I've been drilling those for about an hour now. The good news is my M6 timesert kit should be waiting for me at home today.

Edit - oh yeah and there used to be nothing I thought I couldn't extract with a welder. The first few I broke in the manifold came right out. Not anymore, these fuckers tighten right up and basically lock into place. What a disaster

Timeserted this manifold. Came out well considering I was drilling freehand. The right hole I didn't countersink far enough and I had to file the insert a little to get it flush.

Talked to a buddy of mine at another dealer. They just replace manifolds, he said they've been breaking a ton of these.

image.jpg

Yeah all the extra effort to save a $50 manifold, what's it really worth? Is ford or even the dealership really going to appreciate it? Not a chance in hell.

I go to my manager with correct punch times for drilling and installing those and since it was just an EGR valve replacement he'd rather have the small claim than to submit what the repair actually took.

Man I hate pulling these things with the converter attached. If the cab couldn't be partial lifted I'd say this would be impossible.

I'd rather not discuss the trouble I went through due to salt and the PTO leak.

image.jpg

image.jpg