What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Got a handful of trucks outside and the other guy I work with is off next week.  Couple 6.4s, one is getting a HPFP gasket and exhaust manifolds, the other needs diag for a wrench light.  Got a 6.2 getting an a/c compressor + 7.3 ZF-6 with a broken shifter issue.

Got my boss's son's 6L in. Thing has had a slight pop for a long time now but never had it in to properly diagnose it. A while ago it had #2 intake pushrod break and rocker pop off. Both were replaced with no known cause found at the time, and they didn't want to pull it to far apart because it was running good despite the pop. Came back again with #2 intake rocker spit off. This time I got to look at it. Found the tops of the intake valves damaged and the bridge not seating properly. Convinced the boss to let me pull the head off. He decided to order in 2 heads before I got the chance. Now I have it apart and decided to look at the lifters, found #2 exhaust lifter roller all pitted and wouldn't you know it, the lobe is 3/4 gone. Cylinder walls are in great shape, so he gave me the go ahead to cam it if the crank is good.

Good deal, I haven't seen a bad lifter in a long time and actually never been given the chance to try and fix one. I wouldn't mind trying though.

Amongst all the other crap that's here the phone companies 03 International 4200 bucket truck showed up today. It's here for inspection and they need the rear brakes looked at. This should be interesting.

Good deal, I haven't seen a bad lifter in a long time and actually never been given the chance to try and fix one. I wouldn't mind trying though.Amongst all the other crap that's here the phone companies 03 International 4200 bucket truck showed up today. It's here for inspection and they need the rear brakes looked at. This should be interesting.

This will be the second camshaft replacement for me. With the engine on the stand,you move the long bedplate bolts to the outside, turn the engine right side up, then you can loosen the bedplate bolts slowly and lower the crankshaft/bedplate enough to let the cam gear clear the crankshaft rear flange. I have read about people removing it with no issues, but I would rather not take that chance.

Yeah I would rather not mess with the rear flange either.  A guy I know is a machinist for blackwater engines and that's all he deals with day in and out.  He says it's okay to remove the rear flange as long as you get a dial indicator on it afterwards and make sure there's no runout.  The bolts are the same as the front crank pulley and it should use the same torque spec. 

I have never, and will never mess with those bolts if I should ever go into one of these this deep again. I've only ever cam and liftered one block and it was a lot of work.

I have seen a lot of 6.4s that set 00B7 to go along with an engine derate as well. And yeah, like mentioned above, a set of T-Stats has always successfully repaired mine. My biggest pet peeve doing them is finessing that stupid "ring" on top of that housing out. It comes out only one way and even then it's tight coming out. Not too sure what it's purpose is.

Yeah there is definitely only one exact spot that ring will come out. I usually fuck with it for 5 or 10 minutes before I figure it out.

Done a lot of t-stats for P0128 that had the seals torn but actually never seen a hyperextended one that I can remember.

You guys are kidding me right? PooB7 was added in one of those major reflashes we had, a recall if I am not mistaken. We did a shit load of t-stats after that flash came out and had some pissed off customers too because their trucks were out of warranty and the check engine lights were not on... before we reflashed them. Saw a few P0298 Engine oil cooler performance codes as well. God I hate working on that engine.

I thought the main purpose of 11B23 was to widen the parameters of the range in which the VCV could function without setting P0088 as Ford's way of saying "fuck you, we're not paying for an HPFP" to the customers.

And ditto on Keith's sentiment regarding working on those engines.

I had a rash also. Had p00b7 set after reflash due to low coolant levels as well, but did a bunch of t-stats. I started changing all black ended rad hoses leaking or not for a few fleets. Damn p0298 caused some pissed trucks also. Wrench light and reduced power 20 miles after reflash. I spent a lot of time trying to explain the benefits of knowing when truck needs help, but some people just don't understand?

There were a few new monitors and behaviors programmed into these engines over time. Remember the early days when flames had been recorded coming out of tailpipes? Remember all of the grenaded engines from EGR coolers letting loose due to cooling system concerns? Remember how many engines had worn or glazed cylinders and melted piston crowns from fuel injection problems and elevated crankcase levels from fuel dilution? This was all part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

So this truck http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/topic/5429-whats-in-your-bay-part-v/?p=57548  came back with the same codes and symptoms. I could not duplicate the problem and I put almost 50 miles on it with the IDS hooked up. So just started ohm checking wire @ the trans connector to see if any circuits were cross feeding. I found 2 circuits cross feeding. I will admit I didn't do as good of a job documenting the circuits but I believe it was TFT signal return and TR signal return. I unhooked the TCM connector added electrical grease and problem has not came back in over 7K. 

First time I have ever seen this happen. Finally got the 6L camshaft/ cylinder head job done, runs great, no popping. It has developed an oil leak from the oil cooler top cover gasket, right between the two long bolts that hold the filter housing down. Good thing the customer, aka my service manager, has no issues with my work and agreed that "Shit happens".