Fuel Tank Strainer

Rate this topic

ktmlew

hole size reference.jpg

Fuel Tank tube.jpg

Resurrecting a 73 International flatbed truck. Fuel tank was full of varnish, pickup tube plugged as strainer had split. The fuel pickup is just a 1/4" OD tube. Can find strainers for 5/16 tube but nothing for 1/4". Any ideas for adapting 1/4" tube to 5/16" strainer? Very limited room to work with. If i could attach a hose to tube...but the hole in tank won't allow assembly outside of tank. I'm now considering replacing the 1/4" tube with 5/16". Even then it will be difficult to get strainer on tube after tube is in tank. The original strainer was about 2" long. The 5/16" strainer I have is 5" long. Has an o-ring about 1.5" down inside.

I replaced the primary Master cylinder. All the rest had been done by previous mechanic. Stumbled onto NOS on eBay for 25 bucks. Replaced points/condensor/cap/rotor/wires. Will do plugs after I blow some carbon out.

I've been dying to take a Loadstar 1600 or 1700 with a 345 for a joyride for the longest time now. I know it sounds really stupid. But I rode in a few school buses that were Cornbinders and vividly remember the "whine" sound to them, that the Ford or GM buses of that era didn't have. Ever since then, I've always wanted to take one for a b9ot.

If I remember correctly, the shift pattern on those, had 1st gear to the left and forward, and 2nd gear would be the middle gate and forward, but you would never use first to start off.

Cut my teeth working on 345/392 and MV404/446 IH's way way back in the 70's and 80's for rock and roll bands. Depending on what tranny it had, yes, that pattern could be correct. 

Old VW's use a very skinny fuel strainer but I don't have the dimensions. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209147A I'm thinking one of these clamped onto the tube after putting a flare on the end to retain it might work.

:grin:

• Like 1

Cut my teeth working on 345/392 and MV404/446 IH's way way back in the 70's and 80's for rock and roll bands. Depending on what tranny it had, yes, that pattern could be correct. 

Old VW's use a very skinny fuel strainer but I don't have the dimensions. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209147A I'm thinking one of these clamped onto the tube after putting a flare on the end to retain it might work.

:grin:

Ordered one of the filters. Doing a bubble flare might be just the ticket to get a filter to fit. Good idea. You should consider doing training for a living... :notworthy:

• Like 1

Still wasn't getting fuel to fuel pump. Just a trickle of fuel out of line to pump after cranking. Tried to blow back into tank. No joy. Dropped tank...what a dumbass...used a cap on line that had a flat bottom with a piece of thin cardboard as a gasket while cleaning tank. Didn't look closely enough after removing cap...DOH!  

Posted Image

Posted Image

OMG, butterfly hoods. I hated those frigging things....... :ohnoes:

When I was a young tech we had a local town with some F750s with those hoods. I had to replace an injection pump on a New Holland engine in one of them. It was an experience