Battery Cables Cracking?

Rate this topic

Started out I was supposed to stop at my buddy's shop and take an 02 Superduty with a 7.3 for a ride, guy who owned it claimed it was running like crap. Got over there one night after work, found out truck is an absolute pile of crap (rotted to hell plow truck that sits all summer). Started out testing the glow plug relay cause they claim it starts like crap too. Relay has about 1 volt of drop. Took it for a ride and didn't notice anything too abnormal for the amount of miles on it. (263,000)  Pulled it in the shop to test the glow plugs, all 8 test out with normal resistance. I had noticed a 3rd gear incorrect ratio code stored in it when I ran the self tests, but I couldn't find the trans_rat pids on my copy of AE. So when I went to put it back outside I grabbed the shop's OTC scanner and it had the trans_rat pid so I was gonna drive it and see if it had 3rd gear. When I went to start it up it wouldn't crank, and it wouldn't even click. I crawl underneath and find this big honking Denso starter hanging under there. The terminals were so rusty that I couldn't get a decent reading with my meter on the S wire. I had normal power at the connector by the blower motor, so I told them that it was either a starter or there was an issue with the S wire and that I didn't wanna try taking the wires off of the starter to test them cause they were so rusty that they were gonna break.

Guy ended up coming and picking up his truck, I don't know if he towed it or managed to get it started. But he called back a week or so later all bent out of shape cause he's claiming that his main battery cable was broken where it bends by the front lower corner of the motor. He also claimed that a local Ford dealer had told him that it was very common for them to break at this location and in this fashion. I know it wasn't my dealer since the shop is more than a half hour away from it. I wasked my parts guy who's been there for something like 30 years and he's never heard of it either.

I'm not loosing any sleep over it, but I'm just curious is this an actual concern or is this guy just that f*cked in the head?