My Own Truck Is Broken!!!

Rate this topic

Well guys, how's your weekend going? Hopefully better than mine. I had just finished breakfast, and was on my way home this morning when suddendly I heard a louder than usual whining sound come from under my truck as I drove along. Next thing you know, the "Low Fuel Pressure" display comes up on my message center, to be followed by the "Reduced Engine Power" message and "Check Engine" light. It then began to feel like it was about to die on me so I pulled into a residential street to get it off to the main street as soon as safely possible. Now, I sit in wait for a tow to my shop with all of 6567 kms. on the clock now needing some unknown repair already, not even close to due for its first set of fuel filters!!!!

I assume you're running motorcraft fuel additives?  The cardboard disc in the bottle cap will fall out once fresh additive contacts it (after you break the foil seal).  When you remove the cap the disc can stay on the bottle opening and you can inadvertantly dump a disc into the tank.

This doesn't sound like a big deal but the way the sending unit is bowl shaped if this disc winds up in the bowl it will intermittently clog the pickup tube causing low fuel pressure.  I had one truck do this to me already basically running me in circles until I removed the tank and found it.

THEN on top of it I almost dumped a disc into my own truck.  Managed to realize it was missing from the cap, and fished it out of my filler neck. 

image.jpg