Adding Acetone To Fuel

Rate this topic

Someone over at TDS posted a couple of links to some interesting articles about acetone as a fuel additive. There is a lot to read but the subject is very interesting and worth the time. I posted n my reply that acetone may affect fuel tank linings like some bio diesel blends are suspected of causing fuel tank delamination. Acetone will affect some paints and cheap plastics according to the article. Well, yes, it is a solvent right? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I am actually considering trying this in my car but I want to find more info on this first.

Wait a second... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't acetone the primary ingredient in nail polish remover of which nail polish is almost like car paint? Seems to me that if they do put that in bio or any other fuel that we are going to see a bunch of meltdowns.

Threads advocating the addition of acetone to both diesel and gasoline have come and gone in many forums and venues.... I will admit that I have only glanced at any articles regarding it's use.

But.... I would first wonder about any environmental or other impacts.... (Google ERG2004 and search guide number 127 - this, BTW, is the same emergency response guide used by US fire departments). If it is not already present in our current fuels, one would have to be concerned with the legality as well as the efficacy of the additive....

As technicians, we are 'ipso facto ' custodians of the air we breath. Many of the decision we make, the things we do or don't do or the advice we deliver should be done with some of this responsibilty in mind....

FWIW, those who "know" me realize that there is no way you can confuse me with a tree hugger.... With a driveway full of V8 4X4s and not an econobox to be found, I can hardly be called environmentally obsessed.... at the same time, I feel it is important to maintain those vehicles I have in such a way as to minimize the impact of my choices on our environment....

Back in the 70s, there was a campaign for "zero pollution"... cooler heads finally prevailed and we realized that "zero pollution" was an impossible dream. Doing our best to minimize our personal quotient is as good as we can do.

I liken it to a scenic look-out..... much like we find in mountainous or otherwise picturesque terrain. If nobody discarded a candy wrapper or drink container on the ground.... the area would only bear the burden of our traffic. But it only takes a few to soil something that could remain picturesque for years to come.... Once the trash starts appearing, the human "beast" that resides in all of us will emerge... my little piece of trash wont be noticeable in this sea of trash before us....

Just because something is now, apparently, "socially acceptable" doesn't make it "morally acceptable".

Sorry to get off on a tangient... but I hope I have gotten a point across........