94 3/4 IDI turbo looking for more power

Rate this topic

BrunoWilimek

Probably a silly question as these are very rare, but a very good friend of mine bought a dually super cab to tow his fifth wheel trailer. He asked me if there was any way to get more power out of it. Since it has no PCM for the engine and was only made for part of a year, I could only think of putting an aftermarket exhaust or air intake on it. He has already done the exhaust. Does anyone know if there are any hop-up parts even available for this engine? If so, can the rest of the powertrain handle an increase? I told him that he should go a bit newer and find a power stroke 7.3, but he doesn't want to spend the money to do that. Oh, well, I tried. :whattodo:

When I installed kits back in 91-93 there were pump adjustments the instructions had you make. I couldn't find anything I had saved but I found this and it is what the Hypermax kits of the time had you do. I think a little more than one hex key flat is what I remember giving good results without getting too much smoke before boost built up.

http://members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Injection%20pump%20adjustment%20article.htm

• 2 years later...

Sorry I did not get back sooner. Thanks for the replies. I just got back from camping with my friend and family and he asked again about a different turbo. The Banks is only listed up to 93, so I assume it's not meant to replace the 94 factory turbo. I will mention about rear end gears as it is a 2WD. Thanks again.