Upper intake bolt

Rate this topic

Had a upper intake bolt break on me today. It broke right at the head and left a tall stud that the intake was stuck on. After I got the intake pushed up I cut the bolt. Got intake out welded nut to it broke it again welded another nut on broke it again. That's when I started drilling and installed heli coil. Parts can't get short bolts (back ordered) so I cut a long one. Easy job didn't go so good.

I put a turbo in a truck not long ago that had a valvecover replaced at another dealer for the same thing (found it in the warranty history).  I did notice an unusual amount of corrosion in the upper intake bolt holes in the same locations. 

I was under the hood of a 2011 today and noticed the two front and two rear bolts on the drivers side had a lot of "water crud" in the recesses around the bolts and the bolt heads were corroded. Do I look up. I see that water is either sneaking past the weather strip and dripping off of the under side of the hood or leaking past the washer jets and dripping off if the washer hose between the two jets.

I had that happen to me once and in the same place. Seemed like there was an unusual amount of corrosion in a place where there really should be none. Not easy getting the manifold out with those broken bolts, is it![/quote

I was not able to get intake off without cutting the bolt.

Wouldn't you know I get a walk in cab and chassis turbo today and that rear outside corner bolt was tight all the way out. I thought it was going to break for sure. The sleeve in the upper intake is full of corrosion. Guess I now have to worry about this all the time now.

I was looking at one of these this morning, as the snow was melting off it in the shop. The water was running out the seam between the 2 cowl panels, and down the drivers side of the upper intake, right onto these bolts. Add in a bit of salt from road spray.....

They've change the bolt and sleeve style in the '15 and up.  I had one off last week, and I found it a lot more difficult to remove the upper, as the bolts keep falling, and hanging up on things.  I ended up having to route an elastic band around them to hold them up a bit.

They've change the bolt and sleeve style in the '15 and up.  I had one off last week, and I found it a lot more difficult to remove the upper, as the bolts keep falling, and hanging up on things.  I ended up having to route an elastic band around them to hold them up a bit.

Once you figure out which bolts hang up on stuff it's not bad at all. Are you taking out the support bolt that goes into the valve cover for the heater supply tube? The tube will then flex enough to squeeze the intake past it.

Once you figure out which bolts hang up on stuff it's not bad at all. Are you taking out the support bolt that goes into the valve cover for the heater supply tube? The tube will then flex enough to squeeze the intake past it.

Yeah I've been doing that since day one.  I had one 15 intake off but I don't recall it being too much more difficult.