Used PCM set-up...possible?

Rate this topic

We have a truck towed in from an indy shop. Long story short they put in a used PCM.... It won't start and my guess is the VIN mismatch code with the immobilizer module. I told the guy it is most likely not possible to change the VIN in the PCM but he said he would pay me to try. Has anyone successfully set up a used PCM to work?

Edit: Success. Had the same tear tag. Was able to perform PATS parameter reset. Started then stalled. Luckily the Tuner was in recovery mode, which is my guess as to what went wrong in the first place, and it let me tune the truck for the delete and is all good.

Good stuff.  When you start an IDS session on a new IDS that has never seen the vehicle it will ask you "is this the correct vehicle"

Select "no" and it will prompt you to enter the vin, tear tag, etc.  That is usually how you can trick them into programming.  I believe hotline calls this blank path programming

• Like 1

Late to the party, but I've done the same thing. A local guy here gave me a used PCM as an attempt to repair his misfire on an 09 Exped. I promised very little but was able to get it to run without much difficulty.

A long block later fixed his low oil pressure and misfire.

So what happens if you get a PCM with a tear tag that is different that the original? 

Also, I was never given the option to enter a VIN. Does this mean the VIN is not stored in the PCM and IDS pulled it from another module...Or did IDS automatically put the VIN into the PCM. After all was done I had no VIN mismatch codes.

Good stuff. When you start an IDS session on a new IDS that has never seen the vehicle it will ask you "is this the correct vehicle"Select "no" and it will prompt you to enter the vin, tear tag, etc. That is usually how you can trick them into programming. I believe hotline calls this blank path programming

If the truck has a programer in it that is the way that hotline told me to do it when I want to reflash it.

Matt has it right - let IDS connect to the vehicle then answer no to all questions until

You get the option to.enter the vehicle manually. THEN enter the VIN and IDS will download and install the correct calibration. Depending the model year you may need to enter some configuration data, set parameters or PATS functions. I haven't had to do this in a while but I did replace a 6.7L PCM... I don't see it being any different.

• 2 weeks later...