Someone put an 03 engine in an 05. Now what?

Rate this topic

Got stuck somehow working on this chimera(definition:in Greek mythology-a fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail.). The original 6.0 died of internal engine failure, so they had an 03 6.0 truck that burnt but had a good engine. The customer's concern was hard starting hot. It had a very long crank cold when I first got to it, then after ramping up slowly, it ran fine. Pulled codes, had hard faults P0670 GPCM circuit, P02289 ICP too high, engine off, and U0306 FICM programming incompatible with PCM. Also continuous codes same as above, as well as P0683 glow plug module to PCM comm fault and P2284 ICP circuit range/performance. Fixed the glow plug codes by pushing in the connector at the GPCM until it locked, re-flashed the FICM, PCM and TCM to get rid of the U0306. Seems to start better now, but still starts slower than normal, then ramps up to an idle, then after several seconds runs perfectly. The truck is using the 05 PCM as the 03 PCM was damaged in the fire(or so I have been told). As far as the ICP codes, am wondering if the 03 and 05 are even compatible? Watching PIDS when it starts, the ICP looks like a digital signal, as if the PCM is substituting a value instead of ramping up like an analog signal. When the engine is shut off, then immediately turned back to run, but engine not started, ICP stays high, around 4000psi. Then after a time, it drops down to zero. ICP volts stays around 5 volts during all this. I feel the best option is to get an 03 PCM to go with the 03 engine and go from there. I would dig into the ICP, but since it is the one at the back, have been able to talk myself out of that.  Any thoughts on this mess?

I've put an 05 engine into an 03 excursion before, just modified the harness pigtails as needed to connect everything up, had no driveability issues after it was done. I remember the 03 ICP sensors had leaking issues also, maybe a biased ICP sensor? May be worth a look to see if there's the oil in the connector shorting vref to the signal or the sensor itself is shorting under pressure?

Use the PCM for whatever year the vehicle is. You would not be able to use an 03 PCM, the communication is different I believe (no CAN) I have seen an 05 super duty with an 03 engine and it was fine, the ICP wiring was extended on the 05 harness.

Also the late ICP sensor in the rail will fit in an 03 just fine so you can swap sensors with a known good one

Got it fixed. Turns out the person who put the engine in used the 05 wiring harness, extended the 3 wire pigtail to the ICP sensor using 3 wires with different colours than the ends and crossed 2 of the wires, which resulted in a high ICP voltage signal and the inferred ICP reading. I also replaced the ICP sensor with an 05 unit and replaced the pigtail as it had lost the grey insert. Also found the 16 pin connector at the FICM to the injectors had been broken in half and spliced in a used connector saved from a previous harness replacement job. Starts and runs great now. The engine was put in a year ago and they have been trying to get it working better all this time. :crazy:

• 1 month later...

Have one in my bay currently.....with the exception that the turbo and pedestal are of the 2005 variety. They cut the mounting boss off the back of the housing to clear the 2003 intake. It's in for a stall hot. Have a leaking ICP sensor and a fuel pump secondary circuit open code. The turbo drain tube was not fully pushed into the HPOP housing( I could see the oring). Was going to pull the turbo to correct that, until I saw the hack job on it. Managed to pop it back in with a bar. Started going after the ICP sensor and harness and stumbled onto a few stripped out valve cover bolt holes. Nice truck though. Hope these guys didn't pay to much for it at the auction. That Frankenstein engine may not be worth the hassle. 

Update: After 30 minutes of talking to this guy and his dad(30 minutes that I will never get back...) They decided to try a get the engine and fuel pump out of a write off they know off. They got the truck around the corner and it stalls. After a bunch of screaming at the front end staff, they managed to get the service manager to tow it back and they want the fuel pump changed. 

Update #2: Went to bring this thing in, hoping the fuel pump has cooled enough to work, and it's still a no start, but doesn't sound like a fuel pump. Dragged the IDS out there and it's only making 400 PSI cranking...... :haha2: