Daily Observations - Part II

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I am friends with the techs at the Ford dealer about 20 miles from me. It's a small shop and they like to ask my opinion on what they are working on. They don't get along over there and don't help each other at all. This morning I am getting texts from both of them asking about the truck in there stall and telling me how dumb there coworker is.

• Like 1

In a very short period of time, it is possible to pump 8 litres of oil out of a 6.4L when you forget to put the oil filter back in.... :facepalm:

And the cap tightened...I very much dislike messes, especially filthy diesel oil.

I will say the worst mess I made was during my first experience with a 6.4 turbo oil seal leaking...Yeah bad idea to rev it up....I was outside my almost brand new shop, the wind was not in my favor & that filthy POS sprayed oil all over 2 sides of my 18 foot side walls...I wanted to scream :fuming:...I got a customer that does commercial power washing to come out & clean it. He had to use his heavy duty cleaner & a brush.

In a very short period of time, it is possible to pump 8 litres of oil out of a 6.4L when you forget to put the oil filter back in.... :facepalm:

And the cap tightened...I very much dislike messes, especially filthy diesel oil.

I will say the worst mess I made was during my first experience with a 6.4 turbo oil seal leaking...Yeah bad idea to rev it up....I was outside my almost brand new shop, the wind was not in my favor & that filthy POS sprayed oil all over 2 sides of my 18 foot side walls...I wanted to scream :fuming:...I got a customer that does commercial power washing to come out & clean it. He had to use his heavy duty cleaner & a brush.

My recently retired counterpart did something similar. He oil bathed 2 rows of customer vehicles. 

Man I did that years ago, threaded the cap on partially but never tightened it down. I think I cleaned for about 3 hours, I wound up removing the fan shroud and fan to get to the front of the engine.

That was when 6.4s were still under warranty so it got a complementary belt tensioner and I got paid some of my f'd up time

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on the year, the back 2 studs on both sides are longer, and have a longer spacer. All the rest should be the shorter ones. If your parts guy ordered 16 studs, you most likely got 16 of the longer ones. which kind of sucks because you won't get the shields on if you use them. It's hard to make out the extra length in that picture without a reference.

.Sometimes I miss the obvious :twack:

Been there, I spent almost 2 hours pushing this truck in and chasing an IPR wiring issue, didn't occur to me to look at the fan clutch wires even though I knew they were also on that circuit. Could have drove the truck in too.  :banghead:

Been there, I spent almost 2 hours pushing this truck in and chasing an IPR wiring issue, didn't occur to me to look at the fan clutch wires even though I knew they were also on that circuit. Could have drove the truck in too.  :banghead:

Do you happen remember if the CEL came on in bulb check?

Do you happen remember if the CEL came on in bulb check?

I diagnosed no power to PCM and found the blown fuse in the parking lot. Proceeded to check wiring diagrams and unplugged the power feed to the engine harness, replaced the fuse and PCM powered up and engine cranks. At that point I pushed it in. Anyways it's fixed now. Found a loose waterpump bearing which is what caused the cooling fan to snag the wires.

• 2 weeks later...

2002 Toyota 4Runner. High idle/ sometimes stalls code P1125 & P1128... Needs throttle body...correct..

Toyo.jpg
Toyo 2.jpg

I'm glad I have one of those tools that I just plug it in and it tells me what's wrong with it.... Code description... remove rubber mat from throttle body.

Actually since it was Autel...remove rubbor matte from :haha2:

• 3 weeks later...

The whole shop is about to walk out.  Thursday the SMT I work with is putting his 2 weeks in, he's got a better offer somewhere else.  I can't and won't do his job so I'm leaving unless the service manager is fired.  That would leave no certified guys left in the shop. 

Less than a year ago the SM brought his junkie kid in to wash cars and here we are last month giving him a service advisors job and propelling him into stardom.  The kid can barely string together a sentence.  Meanwhile our actual advisor/warranty administrator needed to take a medical leave of absence and my manager forced her out into damn near nothing for his own personal agenda.  She's still the warranty admin part time but they didn't even give her an office.  He's a snake, he's tried his hardest to pin us all against each other.  I've never done this before but we're going to see who's the most important part of the shop. 

You know, honestly I can't make up the shit that goes on here.  It's almost too much to rant about.  Long story short. I do not want to be the only certified tech in a shop that should have at least 4 (the most we've ever had was 3).  I am not going to attempt to take out my service manager, he is going to do that on his own.  I am going to request a fair price to stay and if not I have a job down the street at the construction companies fleet shop.  They have more trucks than I work on in a year and they at least have some support...aka other techs in the shop. 

They do have an IDS which is a big bonus in my book.  They get their parts from us and they buy A LOT of parts.  They're in the process of putting up a new shop too, the current one is badly outdated which is one reason I haven't went there yet.  The option to expand and work on some bigger stuff gets my attention too.  I'm sure they would let me get my CDL on their dime. 

Well it went down today. I did not quit but the other guy is leaving next week unless he gets the rate he was offered at the other dealer. It's a long shot, I'll be surprised if they give it to him.

Honestly I learned a lot today. You have no friends in a dealer. I've been helping a guy who makes 15-20k more a year not only with repairs but by sucking up all the hard work. I expressed my concerns with management so there's no doubt everyone knows how I feel. If he stays I am going to leave. No more free ride on my hard work. They tried to reassure me that I'm the most important tech and blah blah blah they won't overwhelm me with work. The only way to know how that will play out is to wait and see.

My service manager is too smart to beat btw. He hired a guy today knowing full on that one of us is leaving but he doesn't know who.