Daily Observations - Part II

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

If you are slow and need to get some work in the door....QUIT...I handed in my notice today and have more work lined up than I have seen in a while. 

Actually, the orientation is correct- in my picture the outlet pipes are horizontal. It's the chassis orientation that's messed up- it's vertical.......

:haha2:

Yeah I saw that once I posted it. But I don't know how to rotate it from my phone.

Actually, the orientation is correct- in my picture the outlet pipes are horizontal. It's the chassis orientation that's messed up- it's vertical.......

:haha2:

Yeah I saw that once I posted it. But I don't know how to rotate it from my phone.

I find rotating the picture on the phone after I take the picture doesn't work. I just turn my phone sideways now when I take the picture. They seem to upload normally that way. 

• 4 weeks later...

Seen it several times, check alt AC output, if the alt has a bad diode it will cause this.  Typically at idle it will be around .02VAC at the bat or .05VAC at the alt.  If it's above .1VAC I'd worry about it. Load test the alt if you have a carbon pile to make sure it's putting out the amps it's rated for.

:grin:

Depends on the "charger".  Was it constantly "baking" the battery all winter?  Much like stupid RV inverters that cook the coach batteries if left plugged in constantly.

I have my '99 Lightning on a battery maintainer 24/7 as long as it's sitting.  Same motorcraft battery for 14 years now.  Keeps voltage at 12.8v.

I also put my S2000 on a maintainer (different brand) in the winter, it first does a desulfation, bring voltage to 15.1, then drops to 12.6 to 12.8. 

Haven't had issues with either. 

I had a Napa blow the corner out when I hooked up the booster to jump start. My policy is to always wear safety glasses when I mess with batteries. I pretty much have safety glasses on all the time anyway.

I have no idea what kind of charger it was but knowing this customer it wasn't anything modern.  He cheaps out in the wrong places.

My onboard boat battery charger will do 5 amps until it hits 14.1v then drop down and do a float/storage charge of 13.5v.   I don't leave them hooked up all winter but I do charge them every few months during the off season. 

Every battery that ever exploded on or near me had electrolyte low to below plates. Looks like that one was the same.

I always thought the ones that blew up when key  was turned to start position were the gnarliest. Those like to blow the 4 sides of battery open.

Parts should pay attention to what they put back into stock. This is the new tank they had for me....it's worse then the one in the vehicle.

20170425_091521.jpg