6.7L Major Failures

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

The only one catastrophic failure I've ever had a on 6.7 required only pictures of clear evidence that valves had kissed pistons, uploaded on the form that resulted in approval granted within ten minutes and no further questions asked.

We only have prior approval for long blocks and completes so if I were to cost cap and the decision was to replace then I might have to send in pics.

Otherwise, like the one i'm doing now, a shortblock, one head, one injector and a turbo would not require any approval.  I usually submit a hotline to discuss the root cause and related damage but they have never asked for pics.  Perhaps if there was a question of a warrantable condition they may ask for pics.

Typically I write pages and pages of notes on the RO, if there is any question on the claim after the fact and the RO is faxed to be manually reviewed there won't be an issue. Just document your exact failures, related damage and hang on.

Had on broken crankshaft, number 5 piston went through side of block, cracked hpfp housing and a few broken rocker arms. same as matt, had to take pictures of pistons hitting heads for long block approval. I was surprised that ford didn't really care about oil change records, truck had 15k but engine hours was closer to 50k. They said as long as the oil filter wasn't original they don't worry about it.

Before I tore this thing down I went in and wrote down hours, idle hours, then went in pids and wrote oil change days, last oil change mileage, oil life remaining values just incase they asked.  They didn't.