Way cleaner exhaust after delete removal...

Rate this topic

I just removed the EGR delete from my own 2006 F250 6.0L and installed an aftermarket cooler. (no, not Dorman)...I got tired of seeing that check engine light.

I am wondering about software/fueling strategy on these trucks when they command EGR and do not see flow. The first thing that stood out after installing an EGR cooler was how clean the exhaust became! I realize EGR is there to reduce oxides of nitrogen, but...WOW!!

My wife always complained about my "stinky truck". I have to admit, it was not pleasant to stand around this idling truck because of the smell. So, I was doing a KOER test with IDS and while it was running I got out for a walkaround, leak check etc. I thought, "wait...something is different"?! I walked around near the tailpipe thinking, WTF? I can't smell it. I actually bent over and stuck my nose near the exhaust. Just WAAAYYY cleaner! I was not expecting this dramatic change. I only wanted my CE light out.

Now I'm just wondering the theory behind it!

Don't most people run a tune with an EGR delete on those things?  It stands to reason that a stock calibration would react to seeing no EGR flow. Out of curiosity, what DTC's are in the PCM?

This one had no tune. I think it was P0401...I'd have to look...it was the "no EGR flow detected code," and not a valve position code.

My 06 set a P0401 but only when outside temp was above the 50s. I had tunes written for it to turn the cel off.

Yes. My CEL stayed off all winter.

My 06 set a P0401 but only when outside temp was above the 50s. I had tunes written for it to turn the cel off.

Yes. My CEL stayed off all winter.

Which makes me think IAT2 has a big part in verifying EGR flow in addition to MAF dropping when the EGR opens. I teach this in class with no real basis for the theory because it's not in the books and suggest occasional cleaning of the IAT2 for maintenance. For fun during hands-on we command the EGR open and closed, watch the IAT2 react sluggishly, pull it and de-gunk it, and re-run the test.  Of course, the IAT2 reacts much quicker after shoveling the crud off.......

:grin:

I see a truck that a guy has a resistor (can't remember the value) soldered into the oil temp circuit. It never gets above 90F, therefore there's no EGR commanded.

Even though the ECT is 200F, the oil is 90F, and the ECM doesn't pick it up as an issue for some reason. :shrug:

I'd just like to add: Grampy would be proud of you for re installing smog gear. :grampy:

• Like 1

I see a truck that a guy has a resistor (can't remember the value) soldered into the oil temp circuit. It never gets above 90F, therefore there's no EGR commanded.

Even though the ECT is 200F, the oil is 90F, and the ECM doesn't pick it up as an issue for some reason. :shrug:

I'd just like to add: Grampy would be proud of you for re installing smog gear. :grampy:

Isn't fuel delivery and timing based on oil temperature?  This thing must have some funky fueling issues when it's hot.

Isn't fuel delivery and timing based on oil temperature? This thing must have some funky fueling issues when it's hot.

I believe it does. I had the resistor for testing the ficm installed and had to move it about 10 feet. It ran like absolute shit.