Pudding Anyone?

Rate this topic

Here is what you get when you run your 6.7L 37,000 miles and 4861 engine hours and perform 3 oil changes. The back of that crank was moving and grinding around like the hips of a stripper... just not as smooth. The machining of the engine rear cover and transmission are amazing in that there was at least a quart of oil trapped in the converter housing. Warranty? Nope. 24 oil changes would have been much cheaper in the end eh?  And this was a township truck. So sad.  

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Modern vehicles don't need the oil changed anywhere near as often as the manufacturer recommends. It's just a money making scam!! (as told to me by an 'educated" customer).

:);)

Interesting. That's 1689 non-idling hours. But by hour versus actual driving mileage, this means this engine's wear also has 42225 miles of driving mileage wear reflected by that number, PLUS the idling mileage wear. Wow.

I use 33 for an avg MPH, so 4861x33= 160,413 theoretical  miles on that engine. They're as bad as another city I have that averages 2.7mph on their 6.7s, do oil changes at 4000 miles and also lose motors regularly. 4000 miles for them is something like 1400 hours on an LOF. I've seen their "change oil" message displayed on a new truck with 700 miles on the odometer.

:rolleyes:

In the Ford world, we use 25 for miles and 40 for kilometers. Ford preaches oil changes every 200 hours, 6 months, 5000 miles/8000 kilometers whichever occurs first. Try explaining this math to the average Joe customer.

I suspect the shortblock I just did was a maintenance issue also. Last oil change was 6100 miles ago but the oil life still showed 19%. These were read off the IDS pids. Seems excessive but the owners manual says go off the oil change reminder rather than mileage or hours.

Yeah the problem as always is educating the customer. Had a 6.4 owner complaining about his oil being overfull all the time saying there was a problem. He changes it every 10k miles because that's what the owners manual recommends. I tried to explain to him about fuel in the oil from regen and dropping the intervals to 5k and so on. He looked at me like I was full of shit and hasn't been back. I think I dodged a bullet.

In the Ford world, we use 25 for miles and 40 for kilometers. Ford preaches oil changes every 200 hours, 6 months, 5000 miles/8000 kilometers whichever occurs first. Try explaining this math to the average Joe customer.

Odd, I keep hearing 53 KM. I believe our instructor and the hotline were telling me 53.6 KM at one point. 

I can see your math now, it makes more sense, odd how everyone around here uses 53 KM. 

33miles= 53.1KM

IIRC both Ford and IH used 33 early on but Ford dropped it to 25 later. I don't get worried until:

Avg MPH Guidelines:
30+- Excellent
25-30 Acceptable
Under 20- Yellow flag
Under 15- Red flag

I did a 6.7 lately with a 44ish MPH which was the highest I've seen lately.  I also have a DT with about the same I use in class in KC.

:grin:

As I recall, 33 MPH was/is the industry standard.  My thinking on Ford using 25 MPH is that it is probably more accurate for these vehicles due to their usage. Remember that the industry standard is based on an average of all vehicle types and usage. As with all averages, something has to be at the low end of the spectrum.

I think we touched on this in the past but I have also read that new vehicle warranty will soon specify engine hours along with mileage for engine and powertrain warranty coverage just like we now see on ESP coverage on OASIS now. I think this is way past due and I hope Ford also includes other vehicles in their line up to include police cars. We have seen a few police Explorers and Taurus cars with low mileage sludged up engines. What kills me is that NJ has a 3 minute law prohibiting idling of diesel engines yet apparently some of these vehicles just sit and run alllllll day long.

In PA you're not allowed to idle a diesel powered vehicle over 10k lbs GVWR for longer than 5 minutes in any 60 minute time frame. Most if not all businesses have a sign posted somewhere in the parking lot