Get to replace a head gasket in a 2013 Ram 350 dually, any tips?

Rate this topic

lmorris

Venturing into the Cummins world. Chipped, deleted and studded with a blown head gasket. Used cars sold it, customer didn't realize the chip was cranked up and was pulling a 3 horse trailer, can't get warranty, so I get to do it. Mitchell repair procedure looks straight forward and I imagine general procedures from doing all those 6L's will be useful. Any tips I should know about before diving into this thing?

Quick question, is the $900 top end gasket kit from Dodge required for this job? 

Have 2 customers (other vehicles) with these, deleted, etc.  Done by a local shop, that "specializes" in hot-rodded diesels.  Both of course chipped.  Both popped. 

They asked us to look into it, as to why.  It didn't take long

EGR deletes on these tend to act in a similar way to a 6.0 with a stuck turbo.  The EGR system is used as a wastegate to limit boost levels.  When it's blocked off, well, something's got to give.  Some have head warpage and block flatness/machining issues. 

We declined the repairs.  Unless they wanted to go back to stock.  Neither did.

i would have the heads sent out while they are off and tested for cracks ect... last thing you want is to do all this work and just replace the gaskets only to have it return with the same issues... COVER YOUR ASS

I would get the parts from Cummins(usually a better price)  and probably change the CCV filter if it has not been done in the last 50k. I have never done head gaskets on a 6.7 Cummins but you may be able to find better info from Cummins then Dodge. I also seem to remember something funky about the injector feed tubes. This engine also does not like an overfull crankcase, I was told to only put 11 quarts in.

As far as we can tell, it blew out the gasket between each cylinder. Can someone tell me if the markings on the heads are going to be an issue? I can feel the impression with my finger. The head is not warped amd the block is fine.

20160330_151609.jpg

As far as we can tell, it blew out the gasket between each cylinder. Can someone tell me if the markings on the heads are going to be an issue? I can feel the impression with my finger. The head is not warped amd the block is fine.

Not a Cummins guy, but if you can feel the impression I'd get it machined.  CYA.

My nephew works at a Chrysler dealership, he said send the head out. He also said to check the exhuast valve stem real close for damage. The reason the top end gasket is $900 is because it includes the valve cover gasket.

This is what they sent me. Haven't confirmed the cost yet, but I heard the parts guy say it was just under $900 our cost when he was on the phone.

20160331_075307.jpg

• 2 months later...

Guess what.....It's back...Complaining of over heating going up hills. The tuner in this thing does not have a stock HP setting, lowest is "TOW" 70 HP. Do these things have any other known issues I should be looking at?

• 5 months later...

FWIW You can access the engine ECM on those with Calterm and Insite if you know where to get into the backbone network.

I'd tie into the calibration and turn all the fueling and timing back about 10 percent and send it out.