D-Link USB dongle update.

Rate this topic

Recently found out that we can use European spec. D-Links, end in "E". They run like a typical router and utilize more than one channel, this makes them extremely stable in areas with a lot of interference. Down side is you have to get them shipped in from somewhere in Europe.

• 1 month later...

YAY! Got my wireless back today. I use the E version I bought off of Ebay from someone in Israel. $25 for TWO dongles and free shipping. Forad wants $60 each.  Works well so far. They are D-Link DWA-131 E1A  

If you do go with these, Windows will automatically get and load the drivers. I did download them though and tried to install them which does work but for some reason my PC just did not like to configuration software that cam with the downloads... which you are not supposed to use anyway.

Funny thing. Our owner kicked all the cellphones and tablets off our wireless and I haven't had an issue with the old dongles since. He is still getting a couple of the "E" series anyways.

I bought 2 of the revision e dongles, worked ok for about 1/2 day then gave me troubles.

I sort of think the problem is with the IDS software.

I saved a system image a while back when everything was working properly. If I restore the backed up image, everything will work great for weeks, then for no reason the vcm will not connect by wireless, but is always works when connected by usb cable.

Does anyone know if and how a dedicated wireless channel can be used with the vcm2?

• 10 months later...

I got one of these adapters sent in from over seas but it won't let me connect to my VCMII. It says the adapter is not supported.

Is everyone still using theirs?

Did you put yours in the vcm or the laptop. If you only got one then it NEEDS to be in the end of the vcm.

I got one of the new ones in "my" vcm only cause one of the other guys in the shop trashed the one he uses with his laptop. But the shop ordered it from rotunda.

I only got one. I didn't realize you needed 2. We never used wireless before a month ago when the new guy started. I have him the adapter that came with the VCM II and he is using that