2013 Raptor snaps in 4x4.

Rate this topic

Numerous people have attempted to find this. I can feel it right under my feet. A loud harsh snap/bang, seems rotational because it intensifies with vehicle speed. Only happens in 4WD, high or low, from a stop, with throttle input. Found a damaged thrust bearing in the t/case in the planetary assembly, nothing else, no chain or gear damage. Found some play in the front driveshaft where the shaft goes into the rear cv-joint assembly. Replaced the driveshaft and re-bearinged the tcase with a new pump and strainer. Front IWE's have been done as well as a new rear driveshaft. Front diff has not been apart yet. Pinion feels good and rotates freely. All mounting bolts for front diff are tight. Need some help on this one.

Edit:Actually got it to act up on the hoist, something in the transfer case is snapping bad. Last time it was apart I found nothing to pinpoint a cause, so I ordered up a new case for now.

I have a customer with a 12 raptor, that uses it for oil patch work in alberta. On rough roads the iwe-s will not stay engaged. I put IWE eliminators in and have not had a problem since. Apparently it is a common problem on the raptor when driven on rough roads. Now the only problem we have, is with the eliminators installed it seems to wear out the torsen limited slip in the front axle..... Oh yeah, and wear through cv boots..... but the 5" lift with no diff drop cant be the problem.....

Before changing the transfer case, I saw a thread on the Ford side about a skipping chain. Tested out the theory, YUP, chain was climbing up the teeth on the slack end of it. I could actually get a screw driver through the drain plug and pull the chain off the gear and move it over a tooth... :surprise:

I was once told to hold the chain straight out (on its side) and look at the deflection. Sounds like yours has quite a bit of slack.

One of the last ones I tore down for a similar noise made me scratch my head a bit. When I got into it I didn't find a thing wrong, but the symptom was quite apparent: harsh skipping/snapping in 4-high under load while travelling straight on pavement. Put it all back together and promptly went about measuring tires. I found 4/32 difference between front and back on a set of 32x12.5s. A quick road test with a set of take-offs proved it all good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a non raptor f-150 (lifted) with the chain skipping in the t-case. The customer drove all winter in 4x4 with worn out mismatched mud tires, and then when spring came the chain was 3/4" longer than it should be.