PKS hoists

Rate this topic

Anyone have any experience with these? I just received a 16k 2 post, clear floor, clear overhead, hydraulically equalized hoist. It looks extremely well built compared to our bendpak units. It should be getting installed in my new bay in early June. And they are built in Ontario.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 22k hoist of theirs installed in my bay at the time several years ago.

The purchase was though the local snap on field rep. A cpl of things come to mind that i remember about it..

- make sure the concrete thickness is correct under the hoist supports ( shop i was at had to have it redone under the posts for thickness strength.- specs all on their website.)

- the 22k although built very sturdy - equalizes each arm separately  - sounds good in theory, but i had trouble with that from day 1. Pks sent techs out to look and eventually got it a bit better.

- even had the owner out one time.

- problem was it was always one side that came down first - had nothing to do with weight as far as i could tell.

- No real resolution - i just learned to live with it. I will tell you that you are lowering a heavy vehicle and one side starts to come down first ( even if its only for a split

second or so) it is VERY unnerving until you get used to it. lots of times if another tech was beside my hoist when i was first started to lower it - they would get startled by that.

- control panel looked like an elevator control panel with lots of circuit board action and safety lights to beat the band lol.

- In the end i would have been way happier if both sides were locked together so they have to move together.

- That was a few years back so maybe different now - maybe not.

My rotary 18k two posts are like that and due to the slant of the floor I can't always get a truck to go up in the air level. The very big trucks are unnerving and many times I won't lift them all the way up if I feel I can't get them to go up or come down somewhat level. Many times you have to set the arms and adjust each height accordingly, this takes time and I've found it to be hard on the knees

• 3 weeks later...

Our 15k bend pak lifts 3-4" off level always. No one can seem to fix it. I got it close but as the cables stretch it goes wonky. I have been using the new Pks 16k since Monday. It is definitely very well built. I was having trouble lifting a cp rail f-550, until I found out that it weighs 19,500 lbs. Not the hoists fault. The 3 stage arms in this size of hoist are a saviour. I will likely never get the chance to lift a cab on a regular cab truck ,but I think it could be done. I had the slab under the hoist poured 16" thick, over 8' of length and the full 24' of width in the new bay. That way it will handle any 2 post hoist that may ever be put in there.