6r140 overhaul

Rate this topic

I had the pleasure of going inside my first one of these this week. Man are the internals huge! (and heavy!) I didn't end up fixing it as it exceeded cost cap, the low-reverse clutches stripped off of the splines on the planetary carrier. Contamination was extreme. Oil was burnt bad, the shop will probably stink for two weeks now! WSM recommends an engine crane to lift the converter and main geartrain out, but I cant get one into the spot where my bench fixture is. Converter weighs 60 or 70 pounds, and the main gear/ clutch assy is right around 100 pounds.

You need a crane or you could likely damage something AND injure yourself. Also, getting that forward assembly down into the case requires finesse to get all of the shafts to align their splines. If you just drop it all in the sheer weight will make it difficult to do that. Same with the torque converter. If your bench does not move I highly recommend putting wheels on the bench... but then, it is recommended that you mount the transmission on a heavy engine stand. If you want pics I have one apart as we speak. I also use a transmission bench with wheels. Leave the crane in place and move the bench or the trans on the stand as needed. It just requires a little room to move around.

Other than that it is not a particularly difficult transmission at all.

When I pulled that locked up engine with the converter attached I had a hell of a time getting it back into the transmission with the body on.

I have not actually had one apart yet but I know the day will come. Anyone have pics of how it will mount to a 2 post engine stand?

I use the engine stand adaptors for the 7.3L PSD for attaching the rear of the case. On the front I use the universal adapters that came with the engine stand. I suppose a talented fabricator with some metal on hand could fabricate some brackets for this specific application. I just used what I have on hand which works well.  Here are some pictures of a trans I currently have apart. If you want any specific shots or close-ups ask me now while its here!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We have some L-brackets we bolt to the back end and stand it up o n the floor. We also use the hoist arm to get it on and off of the transmission jack, then use the engine crane to stand it up. Next time we have one apart I will get some pics.

our tranny guy uses a ratchet strap slung through a front tow hook to the bellhousing bolt holes ..... seems to work just dandy. lots of room that way for the cherry picker.

i liked it so much that i now do the same for the odd time i do a pump or such on a 6r80.

and speaking of transmissions, who decided it was a good idea to weld the crossmember (aft of the t-case) to the frame on the new f150s.

had to steal picture from Keith......don't drop the box or whatever to forward clutch cylinder....they are fragile....very easy to get it out of round. I've had few that are out of round right out of the box.....steels won't slide in easily.

post-4-0-75461600-1463744616.jpg

My bench is a 1200 liter oil tank as well, so I can't put wheels on it. If you saw how small our shop is you would understand why there is no room for anything to move around. I did try to put it on an engine stand, but it would have taken a few hours of fabricating which I did not have. Hopefully once our additional bay is done I should have way more room. I like the L bracket idea to stand it on the floor. May have to try that. I was able to get it put together, without slamming/ dropping the gear train, or the converter, although I wouldn't want to do it everyday.