TPMS Sensors

Rate this topic

I bought my wife a 2015 explorer a month or so ago. I ordered a set of oe take off wheels for snow tires. Now I'm trying to be cheap and buy a set of tpms sensors off of Ebay. I got the sensors and I am trying to train them without mounting the wheels since I don't have the snow tires for the wheels yet. I can't get them to train. I also grabbed a brand new sensor from work and I can't get that one to train to it either. I can retrain the ones that are on it to it.

Did they change this that the sensors have to have pressure on them before you can train them? I have trained them without being installed on older vehicles.

That's what I thought. There is a build date break in 15 the 15 Explorers. Mine is before it. I even looked up hvbom for it. The new sensor I borrowed from parts tonight is the correct number according to hvbom and the parts catalog.

Try waking one up by pressurizing it. It'll be a little work, but maybe drop the whole thing in a tire and air it up.  Some manufacturers state as much as needing 2 minutes of being pressurized in order to wake up from shipping mode.

Joe

You have to wake up new sensors, usually by rolling the tire. Some aftermarket TPMS tools have a built in wake up function, the little grey ones you can get through Ford parts won't. 

We have an ATEQ VT30. When you train sensors, if it doesn't pick up a signal right away it will attempt to wake up the sensor. I had a dead sensor once, right out of the bag, used this tool on another bagged sensor and it woke it up and read the sensor. You might not be able to train them to the vehicle if they are not reading any pressure though. Spinning them on the balancer should work to wake them though.

We carry ford sensors, and aftermarket ones for people wanting to save a few bucks. Neither will respond to our training tool without being pressurized at least once.