F-150 Coolant Leaks

Rate this topic

mchan68

Just curious if it's just me, but I've been seeing quite a few pattern failure types of various coolant leaks on F-150s lately. For starters, the 5.0L F-150s were leaking from the engine block heaters, that was either accessed by removing the front drive axle or the alternator, whichever method preferred.

Then, we've started see a lot of Ecoboost F-150s leaking from the heater hose to degas bottle connection as mentioned in another thread, that has been established as needing the hose and bottle replaced for a 100% success of repair.

Now, I've been seeing quite a few 5.0L F-150s leaking from either the upper rad hose to t-stat crossover tube leaking, and/or the water pump itself. Both leaks seem to result in a massive enough of a leak that causes them to arrive on the hook.

And just this last week alone, I have seen THREE 2015 body style F-150 5.0L come in for a rad leak, exactly the same way the 6.4L and 6.7L trucks do, from the left side tank.

Anyone else seen this or care to comment?

Seen it in one of our fleets, upper, lower and those "connectors"  have only done a couple degas hoses on their 5.0 F150s.  Haven't yet seen the radiators yet.  Most of their trucks are 2wd.  All around 120 to 140k miles. 

Just waiting for the heater hoses to start leaking.

Was interesting finding out on the first trucks, there were so many on back order that they couldn't give us a release date.

Anyone ever done any of those 3.5 ecoboost turbo coolant line fittings?  I helped a guy do one and I think we've had one other one come through the shop, they're the same fittings the 6.7 turbos use 

Anyone ever done any of those 3.5 ecoboost turbo coolant line fittings?  I helped a guy do one and I think we've had one other one come through the shop, they're the same fittings the 6.7 turbos use 

I have done a few. We now stock them in our parts dept. Some of them come in just leaking by themselves, and others started to leak after turbocharger replacement. At this point any time I have those lines off I swap out the fitting (on the turbo) at the same time - it's not worth the aggravation of doing the job twice. 

They pay alright. For the one on the left side against the block I have claimed transmission re and re - no issues. 

As for the rest of the leaks, I have seen a few of the degas bottle leaks, one with the hose at the t-stat housing and lots of water pumps (5.0, 6.2 and the other day a 3.5).

Anyway, coolant leaks seem like a minor issue when you consider these things dropping intake valves on #6 and grenading the engine. My colleague the bay over has done two new-body 5.0s in the last couple weeks. Both came in for no cranks and both left with fresh long blocks. The first core got shipped straight back to Windsor.