Ford's pre paid maintenance

Rate this topic

Steve Mutter

I just worked on a f-350 6.7 dually with ford's pre paid maintenance. I performed a #2 service oil/filter/lube/inspection. Found the rear brake at 2mm so it needs brake pads. I was told by my shop foreman we are not to replace or machine rotors now so I was told just to replace the pads which now only pays 0.1. Is this right ? is that all they are paying or does my shop foreman have the wrong information. You get 1.4 for the #2 and 0.1 for brake pads, just seems very low to me. 

I hate to say this, but this is the exact reason why I refuse to do brake jobs anymore, under FMPP unless they are worn down to metal. We just recently received a memo from our warranty administrator informing us we are now required to submit digital images before doing any brake jobs under warranty.

you can claim the rear brake inspection time which includes time to lubricate/free up and adjust. the time is somewhere around 1 hour so for your rear pad replacement you claim the inspect rear brakes (advisor must make a separate line on the RO stating check for cause of brake noise/pulsation ect...) in order to claim the brake inspection time and then the pad replacement. but you wont get the inspection time if you replace the pads under the FMPP line. has to have a separate line for some sort of brake issue that needs to be "Inspected" to determine the route cause of the concern.

An FMPP brake inspection is supposed to include removal and inspection of the pads, not just a visual.  Hence the reason they don't pay the R and I.  We get paid the R and I time, because our SM doesn't think it's fair.  I don't know who (warranty or internal) pays the labor.

• 4 weeks later...

I just worked on a f-350 6.7 dually with ford's pre paid maintenance. I performed a #2 service oil/filter/lube/inspection. Found the rear brake at 2mm so it needs brake pads. I was told by my shop foreman we are not to replace or machine rotors now so I was told just to replace the pads which now only pays 0.1. Is this right ? is that all they are paying or does my shop foreman have the wrong information. You get 1.4 for the #2 and 0.1 for brake pads, just seems very low to me. 

Maybe you just need to get your ass in gear?...................   :);)

you can claim the rear brake inspection time which includes time to lubricate/free up and adjust. the time is somewhere around 1 hour so for your rear pad replacement you claim the inspect rear brakes (advisor must make a separate line on the RO stating check for cause of brake noise/pulsation ect...) in order to claim the brake inspection time and then the pad replacement. but you wont get the inspection time if you replace the pads under the FMPP line. has to have a separate line for some sort of brake issue that needs to be "Inspected" to determine the route cause of the concern.

This!! .1 is completely ridiculous 

• 2 months later...

Ok everyone, been gone for  a long time a randomly decided to take a look around tonight. Let me try and clear this up. Truck comes in for M2, tech find rear pads worn below min spec on visual.

Line A: M2 - Claim MBASIC ops or whatever is appropriate.

Line B: AD OP - Found rear brake pads below minimum specification on visual maintenance inspections.

- Tech claims inspection op for rear brakes and pad replacement, as inspection op includes time to disassemble, clean, measure, etc...

Must document rear pad thickness on RO vs spec.

As far as rotors - If customer has a noise/pulsation concern (not ad op) you will machine/replace as needed. Need SM auth for rotor replacement. Document rotors measurements and min spec.

If it is an added operation (tech found it on inspection) rotor replacement is only valid if (A) rotors were measured to be below min spec. Tech documents rotor measurement and min spec. or (B) Technician states in his story that he conducted a road test prior to the maintenance service and detected a brake pulsation. Just because they have a wicked ridge or a bunch of rot doesn't mean you get to change them with FMPP. Best practices aside, those are the contract terms.

Oh - and make sure everyone is claiming their MULTI op.

...and replacing wipers as needed.

...and road testing for ride quality that may indicate worn shocks....

...and having parts make sure they charge out washer fluid on FMPP rather than just hit shop supplies for it.....

Lots of rules.......:)